Baby Showers

Community Leader
Baby Showers
Tue, 03-01-2011 - 11:57am

Good morning ladies. My mom e-mailed me today telling me that her and my SIL needed names and addresses of who I want invited to my baby shower. I wasn't really even expecting to have on, so I was caught off guard by it. Apparently they are planning one for in April since I'll be back closer to them at that time.

Pages

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-01-2011 - 1:43pm

That's great that they are throwing you a shower.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
iVillage Member
Tue, 03-01-2011 - 3:07pm
That's awesome you are getting a shower!

I know about mine.. my sister is supposed to be the host but seems like I'm pretty much planning it myself. I have made the invites, secured the location, sent the invites, will have to make the cake or pay someone to do it, etc. All my sister has done so far was give me two dates to pick from and then bought plates and napkins for the shower. Kinda sucks!

Powered by CGISpy.com
Thank you Dedi and Kelly for my
iVillage Member
Tue, 03-01-2011 - 3:20pm

Mine is April 3! My mom, MIL, brother's gf & some bridesmaids are planning it......they discussed having it be a surprise, but my "surprise" bridal shower did not go over well (because I don't deal well with being "out of the loop") so we didn't even attempt a surprise on this one!

Because my wedding was only in May, we used almost the same invite list for the baby shower as for the bridal shower....with a couple extra invites on my mom's side.

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-01-2011 - 4:43pm

That is exciting that they are throwing you a shower.

Cynthia

Community Leader
Tue, 03-01-2011 - 5:27pm
jspttc, We are planning to buy all the big stuff as soon as we get to our new place. I really don't want anyone else buying the big stuff for us since this is my second child (even though it's DH's first). I just feel like that's our responsibility. I'd feel that way even if it was my first though. I figure the baby shower will be a great chance to see family I haven't seen in years. I really hope no one goes over board with all of it.

Katie, I'm sorry you are doing all the work for yours. That seems like it would take some of the fun out of it. I hope it ends up being a great success!

newlywed, Mine is April 3rd too! My mom just asked me today if the Saturday or Sunday would be best. So I picked Sunday. :) I hope your shower goes well!

Cynthia, My cousin tried to surprise me with a baby shower for my DS 10 years ago. I'm horrible with surprises, so as soon as she mentioned having me come over, I was suspicious. I ended up bugging my mom about it so much that she caved and told me what was going on. :) I guess that's why my mom and SIL figured they'd avoid trying to surprise me with this one. Though I'm still surprised they are even doing on. My mom said it's because it's been so long since I had DS.

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-01-2011 - 5:47pm

I'm not expecting a shower this time around although I did tell my mom & DH the other weekend I wouldn't turn down a get together. We've also agreed that if anyone asks us what we want/need our answer is diapers and/or formula (I'm likely not going to pump for a full year).

ERIN

Above all else guard your heart, for it affects all you do. Proverbs 4:23

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-01-2011 - 6:15pm
I don't really expect to have one since this is my second baby and we still have most of DD's stuff. My SIL did buy us a new highchair bc I gave away the one we used with DD right before I found out I was pregnant.
My SIL had planned my shower when I was pg with DD and also planned one for her other SIL and both babies ended up arriving before their respective showers. I don't know if she would take the risk this time, lol.
If someone threw a diaper party for us, that would be awesome though!! Lol!
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 03-01-2011 - 9:05pm

My mom and a few of my girlfriends are throwing me a "sprinkle" since I've already had a shower. I don't really understand the difference. We bought all the big ticket items last time and we will do the same again this time. I just hope I actually get to attend the "sprinkle" I missed my shower because my mom is hardheaded and unwilling to listen to anyone. My shower was planned around her schedule, and then she had the nerve to be upset because I had to be induced because of pre eclampsia. She seriously asked if the induction could wait another week.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed we don't kill each other over the "sprinkle" she wants to invite people I don't want to come and she tries to make me feel guilty, but family or not, if I don't feel comfortable inviting people that I have minimal contact with.

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-02-2011 - 7:22am
you Americans crack me up with all this shower talk! I didn't even know what a shower was when I moved to the states...perhaps because I haven't grown up with the tradition of it then I'm more flexible...I just learned new terms: Sprinkle, diaper party? Never heard of them before but they sound interesting!
We'll do what we did with DD, throw ourselves a small spring party/baby shower, give people the registry info and go from there!
We live in Germany on an Army post, my hubs family is in Southern California, mine are in England so it's just friends here.....I think a little gathering and a chance to eat cheese sounds like a blast...nothing fancy,,,,,With DD after we had our own party, I found out my SIL wanted to organize another one for us...that was awkward and hardly anyone came as we don't have friends that live near his family! She should have just come to our party but think she was too stuck in the whole tradition of it all and got carried away! Oh well, more presents = good! lol!
Hope everyone enjoys their parties!
iVillage Member
Wed, 03-02-2011 - 8:16am

My shower is April 2nd.

Robin

Mom to 2-year old twin boys, Dawson & Devin

TTC #3

Pages