Braxton Hicks?

iVillage Member
Braxton Hicks?
Mon, 03-14-2011 - 9:07am

Hey ladies,

So, what do Braxton Hicks/contractions feel like?

Robin

Mom to 2-year old twin boys, Dawson & Devin

TTC #3

Pages

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-14-2011 - 10:40am

Sometimes my braxtons hurt like that, and sometimes they just feel really intense, and others, i'm like, "Hey, my belly's all hard!

Liliana owns my heart. Born 6/16/2011

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-14-2011 - 10:53am

Thanks for your response!

Robin

TTC #3

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-14-2011 - 10:54am

It could be a contraction, or a b/h or ligament pain like the PP said. How's that for helpful - lol? If it was a contraction and you only had one it isn't much to worry about.

I've been having a lot of B/H. Usually they hit at the end of the day if I've done too much. Some of them have been a little intense but not like a regular contraction. My stomach gets really hard in front & sometimes painful, sometimes not so much.

I have had a few contractions - usually when I'm doing a lot of bending and lifting and haven't had enough to drink. For me, they start in my back and the pain comes around the front until it meets in the middle escalating in intensity. I didn't have to breathe through them but they were definitly uncomfortable enough that I didn't want to be doing anything else. I didn't have too many and I know my cervix is pretty long - over 5cm at my last ultrasound - so I wasn't too worried but I'd be lying if I didn't say it did kind of scare me.

When I have RLP it's usually on the bottom part of my stomach and on the sides. The pain generally stays in the same area & is just really, really uncomfortable & it feels like I'm being stretched out way further than any person should!

ERIN

Above all else guard your heart, for it affects all you do. Proverbs 4:23

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-14-2011 - 11:13am

LOL...now I really don't know what I felt!

Robin

TTC #3

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-14-2011 - 11:55am

Robin - I was surprised by the question last week when the dr asked me about any contractions.

Cynthia

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-14-2011 - 12:54pm

Yes, they ask me every time too and I always thought that when it happened I would know.

Robin

TTC #3

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-14-2011 - 1:16pm
This is my third pregnancy, and believe it or not I've never experienced braxton-hicks contractions. And I had to be told (due to being hooked up to a fetal monitor) when I was having regular contractions. With my first I didn't feel anything until it was time to push - then my body went on auto-pilot.

From what I've been told the b/h are basically the same as regular contractions but not as strong and no where near as regular in timing. Wish I could help more.