Christmas & New Years Chit Chat 12/24-1/6

iVillage Member
Christmas & New Years Chit Chat 12/24-1/6
Wed, 12-26-2012 - 6:53pm

Hello ladies, 

Sorry for the delay in starting this week's thread - I've been busy with the holiday activities and preparations, and I trust you all have been as well.

How did your family celebrations go?  Did the kids enjoy the festivities?  What did they get that they enjoy the most?

On a sad note, my mom's dad (PopPop to me) passed away late Saturday evening.  I was only told a few hours earlier that he was in the hospital and not looking too good - but this happens every year at this time and he always pulls through.  The funeral service is on Friday, but I won't be able to attend since it's in Florida.  I couldn't get any return transportation to get me back to work by the 2nd, and I really didn't feel like driving all the way down there and back with 2 little ones.  DH told me he wouldn't go and would stay home - gee, thanks for the support.

Powered by CGISpy.com
iVillage Member
Wed, 01-02-2013 - 8:07am

Happy New Year ladies!  May it be a happy, healthy and prosperous one.

We didnt do anything special for NYE, just sat around watching TV and eating snacks.  Jesse woke us up early on New Year's day with a severe stomach ache and high fever (both resolved later in the day), and Jenna has the nastiest runny nose I've seen in a while (teething related, we think).  I had planned on getting all the things done that I'd put off doing all week, but that didn't happen - oh, well.  Today is back to the daily grind at work - yeah, rah :-/ 

Laura - how are you doing these days?  When do you go for ultra sounds? (or did I miss that somewhere).

Cynthia - how's the new house?  I'm sure you're busier than ever getting everything moved in and ready, as well as watching your girls.  

Erica - How are things with you and your family?

Powered by CGISpy.com
iVillage Member
Wed, 01-02-2013 - 3:56pm

Hi Donna - I'm sorry to hear about your grandfather.  I hope you were able to enjoy your holidays.

As I'm sure you have guessed, I have been very busy for the past few weeks.  We moved in the middle of December and just today actually got our signed occupancy permit.  After having the building inspector approve the house and expecting everything to be done the town-something-or-other guy did not approve the final land survey saying that our driveway was too steep.  My FIL was able to get this guy to agree to look the other way so that we could move in before Christmas as long as we didn't use the driveway (we have access through my inlaw's farm).  So the driveway was fixed and re-surveyed just in time for several rain storms and then a snow storm.  With the new incline to the driveway, much of the crushed stone that we used as a top layer has now washed down the street (gotta love those building codes) since DH had it packed down tight and then it had to be dug up again.  But we are very happy to be in our home.  There are still little things that need to get done but I am starting to relax on all of that and hence why I have finally made it on here.

As for everything else, my mom took me and the girls to get Marissa's 6 month pictures done today and I got Angie in a couple as well.  We had them done at Target and they did a great job and the pictures look fantastic.  Tomorrow is their ped. appt (Marissa for 6 months and Angie for 18 months) and I am anxious to see how much they have grown.  I feel like they are both getting so big.  Angie is talking like crazy and loves to play pretend.  I got them a kitchen set for Christmas which Angie will cook and pour tea while Marissa is sitting up and is so happy to play with her big sister.  Marissa is also spitting up a lot less in the past couple weeks so it is much easier to play with her.  Plus she is sitting and interacting more so she has gotten to a fun age.

DH is traveling for work next week for the first time in nearly 2 years so I am not looking forward to that.  But at least I have family nearby and I am just trying to see what else to do in our new town.  I think I'll be starting by checking out the local libraries and I'm waiting to hear back from the local moms group for some public events before I decide to join them as well.

That is probably everything for me from the past few weeks.  I hope everyone has had a great holiday.

Cynthia