Do your pets act different since you have been pg?

iVillage Member
Do your pets act different since you have been pg?
Wed, 03-02-2011 - 10:01am

My cat has been extra close to me since I have been pregnant. Like she is never more than 10 ft away from me when I am in the house and at night she sleeps right next to me even if there isn't a lot of room there for her.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 03-02-2011 - 10:56am

I don't know about cats, but I know that dogs can smell a difference in your horomones.

Robin

Mom to 2-year old twin boys, Dawson & Devin

TTC #3

iVillage Member
My dog acted differently with my last pg, but she's not actin that way this time. Last time she always stayed very close to me, and any time I used the toilet she had to come and sniff my crotch to make sure everything was ok (sorry if that was TMI). I started calling her my personal urinalysis.

This time I think she's so tired and distracted by my other LO she's hardly noticed. We'll see how she deals with things once the baby arrives - she wasn't too thrilled the last time.

Powered by CGISpy.com
iVillage Member

YES! My cats want to knead my stomach. I have one that NEVER kneads ever, but when I'm pregnant she will. The other one always kneads but usually not my specific stomach area. The other one (our new once since I had DS) has been very funny about all the baby stuff. She peed on some

iVillage Member

We don't currently have any pets but when I was pregnant with my first I'm positive my cat (who now lives with my parents and hates me :( knew before we did. She would cuddle with me when I got back from class and at night but about a week before I got a BFP she suddenly stopped and would sit on the corner of the coffee table and just STARE. No matter what I tried she would not come on my lap. A few weeks later she got a bit more brave and started to come back & cuddle with me but she definitely acted strangely at first.

ERIN

Above all else guard your heart, for it affects all you do. Proverbs 4:23

iVillage Member

I can't really tell if my cats have noticed.

Cynthia

Community Leader
Thu, 03-03-2011 - 12:47pm
We don't have any pets right now, but I had a kitten when I was pregnant with DS and it always wanted to lay on my belly. It was really cute.
iVillage Member
Fri, 03-04-2011 - 10:41am
My lab acted weird especially with my first he would come put his head in my lap as soon as I would sit down. This time it was less noticeable maybe because he was sick and old I sure do miss that guy. He was so overprotective of DS when he was a baby it was cute, if he cried when I was in the other room he would come find me and nudge me in the direction of the baby. Man I miss my dog he was such a good boy and 14 and 3/4 is a very long life for a hunting lab.
iVillage Member

I think the cats just love the extra body heat, but my sister's chihuahua that we're doggy sitting for a (long) while seems to know.

Liliana owns my heart. Born 6/16/2011