Doctor Complaint...what happens at your check ups?

iVillage Member
Doctor Complaint...what happens at your check ups?
Thu, 03-10-2011 - 4:30pm

Ok, maybe I just had a really thorough doc last time, or it was because I was "high risk" or whatever, but I am really pissed off about the doc today!

I had my monthly check up. Literally the doc was in there for about 2 minutes. She got me mixed up with another patient (saying "How is your heartburn? Any better now?") I told I hadn't been experiencing heartburn....she said oh, I thought you were someone else.

Then she proceeds to tell me that she'll see me at my 28 week apt, in 4 weeks. Well, in 4 weeks I was supposed to be 29 weeks. I told her. She said no, I'm due June 26. This is the first I've heard of this!

I explained to her that I was due on June 21. She looked at my chart and hemmed and hawed, then said the 26th was based on my LMP (period) date. I was like ... I haven't had a period in years and years, how is that the case?

Then she said the ultrasound tech was wrong when she told me June 21, and that we were gonna go with June 26. And that it didn't really matter anyway (really-it doesn't, but I just didn't like her answer)

Anyway, what happens at your OB check ups? Do they usually at least listen to the heartbeat? Measure your fundal height? At mine they do a pee test, do weight, take my blood pressure and that's about it!

Pages

iVillage Member

Wow! I would definitely complain to the powers that be about that visit. Is this the only dr in the office? If she is, maybe you should consider another Dr.

Powered by CGISpy.com
iVillage Member

I first meet with a medical assistant and they ask me a bunch of questions and ask me if I'm having any issues and go over a list of symptoms. I pee in a cup, they take my weight and blood pressure.

Once meeting with the doc I always get to hear the heartbeat and the measure my fundal height and we go over any concerns I have. There are many doctors in my practice, maybe too many now, but they all handle things about the same way.

My old GYN got me confused with someone else and that was the reason I left. I can understand not knowing every patient by face, especially when you only see them once a year, but to have my chart in your hands and speak to me as if I'm someone else makes me uncomfortable.

How many docs are in your practice? Maybe you could see someone else? There is one doc in my group that I won't see because I think she's a nasty heifer! I hope that I can deliver this baby without seeing her again at all!

I hope things get better for you!

iVillage Member

It would make me feel uneasy if the doctor didn't even take the time to review my chart before he/she came into the room. At my appointments, I give a urine sample, then get bp and weight checked. They put me in a room where the nurse listens to the baby's heartbeat and measures fundal height. The doctor comes in, looks through the chart, looks at my weight, asks if I have any concerns, and he's gone. He is thorough when I ask questions, but if I don't have any questions, the appointment is very brief.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wow my drs office has never once done a urine check not even a pg test. With DS it was every appt to but that was a dif dr. So they take my bp, weight put me in a room and say dr will be in soon. DR will come in usually no more than 15minutes and listens to the babys HB asks if I have ?s if not he says see you in four weeks.No fundal height measuring which with DS they did at like 18 weeks on. I was almost 24 weeks at last appt. Like I said before not one single time have they checked my urine. I would definately switch drs if you arent comfortable I am in the process of switching right now for alot of the same reasons. Hope you figure it all out asap and see a dr that you love.
Kristen
iVillage Member

Ummm yeah. Totally unacceptable. If you're able I would let someone know that that is not the way you should be treated or how an OB appt. should go.

With my other two pregnancies I left a urine sample that the nurses tested. They would then get my weight on the way back to the exam room & then take my blood pressure once there. With my 2nd pregnancy the nurse person also checked for a heartbeat. When the doctor came in they checked the heartbeat (so the HB was checked twice each time with my DD) and my fundal height and then asked if there were any questions & discussed when the next appointment was. With my DD I also saw a perinatologist so we would go over the results of the ultrasounds & when I was having another one. In the 3rd trimester they did the strep test & then cervix checks way at the very end.

This time my appointments are way different & I've found my new doctor's office to be pretty thorough. I'm not sure if that's because I'm carrying twins or if that's just the way they are. Anyway, we do the urine test, weight, blood pressure, fundal height, cervix check & an ultrasound. Usually it's just a small portable ultrasound to check the heartbeats but every 3-4 weeks I also have a growth scan. Starting next week I go every week. I've been going every other week to this point.

ERIN

Above all else guard your heart, for it affects all you do. Proverbs 4:23

iVillage Member
I'd switch if they aren't even listening! At my appts I have to do the urine sample and bring it into the exam room. The nurse checks it, then does weight check and blood pressure. Asks if any concerns. Then dr comes in and goes over what the nurse found then checks the heart beat, checked fundal height (or just uterus first time for fundal last appt) then asks if any questions and says when next appt is and what will happen.