Flu Vaccine This Year?

iVillage Member
Flu Vaccine This Year?
Fri, 01-18-2013 - 10:36am

Did you/will you get the flu vaccine for your Sunshine Sweetie this year?  How about the rest of your family?

photo snowsiggy.png

iVillage Member
Tue, 01-22-2013 - 10:00pm

My Sunshine Sweetie is unable to get the flu shot due to her genetic disorder.  The vaccine is create in an egg protein base and she must avoid that protein in order to be healthy.  I did hear that there is supposed to be an alternative version of the vaccine that is not egg based, but it is not available to us through our insurance.

Since DH and I have to at least be carriers of her disorder (or possible even have mild cases of it ourselves), and since our other kids can also be carriers, none of us will be getting the vaccine.

And I hate to say it, but the only people I know of that have come down with the flu this year were the ones who did get the vaccine.