Weekly Chit Chat 10/29-11/4

iVillage Member
Weekly Chit Chat 10/29-11/4
Mon, 10-29-2012 - 9:57am

Hi Ladies, 

Just wanted to get on here this week while I can.  I live in the direct path of Hurricane Sandy in NJ and don't know  if/when we will lose power or get flooded out.  We were at a wedding on Long Island last night and just made it back to Jersey as they were closing down all the bridges and tunnels to/from the city.  It's really windy right now and even though the rains are just starting flooding is already happening and is expected to get worse with the full moon high tide this evening.

Most schools and government offices are closed today and tomorrow (of course my school has only cancelled for today so far, but probably will be closed tomorrow because this storm will continue through Tuesday evening or Wednesday morning).

I know some of you are also in the storm path (perhaps on the outskirts), I pray that you will all be safe and not suffer any property damage/loss.

Powered by CGISpy.com
iVillage Member
Tue, 10-30-2012 - 1:41pm

Well, we made it through with no damage and no power loss!  We are one of the few people on our street with power.  My parents' neighbor's tree came down and scraped their house, but fortunately didn't do any damage to my parents' property (they had parked their cars up the street in case of flooding or they would have lost both cars).

The town where I work did not fare too well.  My school has no power, at least 2 other schools have huge trees down on their property and blocking the acccess roads.  The high school area is completely without power, and 2 of the major roads in town have several blockages due to multiple downed trees.  Major intersections have no power for the traffic lights.  I'm  thinking that we probably won't have school tomorrow unless public works can clear the messes by morning - the roads are definitely not safe for the busses to get through.

Powered by CGISpy.com
iVillage Member
Wed, 10-31-2012 - 11:08am

Hi,

It's me again. Just got a call from my principal.  All the computers in my tech lab (27 brand new iMacs) were stolen last night!  I just put those computers in last April.  Fortunately I have all the serial numbers for them, and they will probably get replaced (eventually) by the district insurance.  But it will take a lot of time to redo them all again. And in the meantime, how do I teach technology classes without any computing devices????  I'm just sick over this.

The public utility company isn't even goint ot get to our area until at least Friday - my district is hoping to be able to open school again on Monday.

Powered by CGISpy.com
iVillage Member
Wed, 10-31-2012 - 11:12am

Donna - I do hope that you made it through the storm unscathed, though I'm not sure if anyone in NJ did?!?!

DH and I's office building were closed on Monday & Tuesday, along with Ashley's DCP.  We got hit with the worst of it Monday night into early Tuesday morning and our area seemed to only sustain minor damage.  Originally they were calling for the eye to hit Philadelphia, but I think it moved at the last minute and saves us from major damage.  Personally, we never lost power (only flickered a couple of time), but we lost two trees in our front yard and a screen from our family room window - all in all pretty minor damage compared to others.

My brother & BIL are still without power since Monday evening and are being told it should be back on by Sunday.....I know both are hoping for sooner than that. 

Based on the pictures I've seen of the Jersey coast I'd say my area got VERY lucky and saw very minor damage and for that I am happy.  It's sad how many people thought the forecasters were overestimating the damage this storm would cause (not going to lie, I was one of them) and how much they turned out to be right.  We never even stocked up on the "necessity" because we told everyone our plan was to "not lose power"......all joking aside, we live in an area where the power lines are underground and we live across the street from the police station so power outages are VERY RARE for us......luckily it turned out to be the case again.

The worst we had to deal with was a stir crazy 17 month old who is also getting a cold.....2 days inside is just way too much!

Anyway, hope everyone is doing OK.  I'll check back for updates!

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-31-2012 - 11:18am

Sorry, I somehow missed your first post saying you had minimal damage to your property & no power loss.....and then apparently we were both leaving comments at the same time.

That totally stinks that the computers were stolen - I'm assuming that means someone broke into the school?  Though perhaps it isn't that hard to do with the power being out due to the storm.  I HATE how people take advantage of these kinds of situations to do things like this (I know that was a big problem after Katrina hit was looting of stores).  There's so much suffering going on and someone had to go and cause more........I just don't get it.  Just one more thing for you to worry about as well.....good luck!

iVillage Member
Thu, 11-01-2012 - 3:31pm

Laura - lol at you plan for not losing power.  But with being right near the police you are not likely to ever lose power - at least not for very long.  I'm glad you didn't have much damage.  I hope your relatives get their power back soon.

We are still dealing with big outages here.  Still 4 schools in my district with no power (mine is one of them) and now fuel shortages everywhere.  All of the local gas stations are completely out of gas and don't know when they will get another shipment. When the stations had gas the lines were miles and hours long just to get to them. Stores that are open are all but empty (no milk, eggs, bread, etc).  And utility crews are nowhere to be seen in this area since they are focusing on the airport, Newark, and the fuel refineries.

The mayor in the town where I work has been in constant contact with the utilities company and says they won't be in our area until Next Friday - which might mean another week without school.

And I got word today that there is no money in the budget to replace my computers and the insurance might not cover the theft.  I did get to see the scene of the crime, it really seems like an "inside job".  There is no damage to any other area of the building and they went directly to the lab like they knew exactly what they were looking for.  They left behind all the power cords, internet cables, keyboards and mice - which will help me out in the future.