Weekly Chit Chat 11/26-12/2

iVillage Member
Weekly Chit Chat 11/26-12/2
Tue, 11-27-2012 - 8:24am

Wow - first one this week and last one last week......different turn of events ;)

How was everyone's thanksgiving?  Ours was great, but went by way too fast!  I got TONS of shopping done on Thursday night/Friday morning/Sunday morning.....I think I'm set for a while.  I even managed to get half of my Christmas shopping done already!!! YAY for lots of sales :)

Ashley has been sleeping past 6 for the past 2 nights, so I'm REALLY hoping that we've made it to the other side of her 4:30 AM wakings......boy was the last month rough :(  I hate not knowing what caused this change.....is it something I did, was it something going on with her that changed, is it the fact that DH is away for a couple days?!?!?!  Oh well, as long as it's over I guess I can't complain.

Other than that there isn't a whole lot going on.  We're hoping to take Ashley to see Santa this weekend.  There's a big fundraiser event for a family in our neighborhood - they have two children who were diagnosed with a rare, fatal, brain disease and are trying to raise money to get them into an experimental program in Italy.  It's a "Winter Wonderland Theme" - taking after the game Candy Land - and they will have Santa.....we thought it would be a fun time for Ashley and the money was going to help someone in need.....hopefully it works out.

Other than that just trying to stay warm as the temperatures plummet!

iVillage Member
Wed, 11-28-2012 - 8:46am

Laura - So glad to hear that Ashley is back to sleeping better for you - I hope it continues.  And yay for a great Thanksgiving, too!  Ours was very low key, just my parents and us at their house and my dad did all the cooking. 

I hope that fund raiser for the family in your neighborhood is a big success - I hate hearing about little ones being so sick or dying.  I hope they can get the funds needed to get the treatments necessary.

I'm still sick and haven't had a chance to call the doctor again, of course they weren't open during Thanksgiving and that Friday I was going ot call, but I seemed to be a bit better.  Saturday was busy with taking Josh out to his second audition, and the last two days here at work have been non-stop tech issues.  Hopefully, I will get time to call today, but I know they'll want me to come in - today's the only day they don't have evening hours (just my luck).  I'm really hoping he'll just send a prescription to the pharmacy since he's already seen me once.  Everyone else that I've run into that has this nasty cold "virus" has had to take antibiotics for it eventually.  I'd really love to be able to hear correctly again though.  Tough being a music teacher and not being able to hear things right.

Josh's second audition did not go as well as we thought it should have.  We had been told (by others in another corp) that because this was a call back it meant he was in, but they needed to figure out where to put him.  This was not the case.  It turns the first audition was in front of the Cadets DCI corp instructors and he got a 2+ (meaning that he was really good, almost in, but had to work on a few minor issues).  But this second audition was in front of the Cadets 2 DCA/junior corp instructors and he received a 2-.  They told him he had the "chops" but he needs to clean up his technique.  He gets to go back one more time in December for a final shot at this.

I did find out that the instructors for the junior corp all come from a different corp that uses slightly different techniques (Josh will be watching lots of videos from that corp to examine the technique so he can make the necessary changes).  The director also said that Josh should be flexible and open to playing a different part than the one he wants.  He wants snare drum and can't really play the other parts, so we'll see what happens.  It's just kind of funny to think he would have made it into the big, main DCI corp, but not the lower one.  Too bad the DCI corp would require him to miss the last month and a half of school and cost twice as much, or I would take him down to their second round of auditions this coming weekend.

Work is driving me crazy lately, or I should say crazier that usual lately.  We still don't have a working solution to our stolen computer situation.  I did get some loaners from another school, but they would have to be configured differently for our students (very time consuming) and I can't seem to log into the main computer they set up for me.  Also, my principal is fuming that nobody asked her about sending and setting up these computers in our building, so she won't let me touch them.  Meanwhile, all the teachers and kids saw them come into the building and wonder why they can't use them yet.  We have a meeting on Friday with the district tech coordinator.  My principal wants to switch completely over to iPads for the kids - I'm not very fond of the idea for many reasons.  First, she is only going to get about 30 of them which means the kids need to share - iPads are intended to be single user devices so how do I secure one student's work from all the others?  Then there's the "ick factor" of little kids who always seem to have their fingers in their mouths or noses now swiping those same yucky, germy fingers all over ther screens and no time between classes to sanitize them - GROSS.  Then there's the fact that ALL the apps for this age group are skill and drill math and reading games that my principal has forbiddin us to use.  And the final kicker, we don't have wi-fi in the building - which would be needed to support 30 iPads being on the web at once.

Ugh!  I've written another book here.  Better get back to work.