Weekly Chit Chat 11/5-11/11

iVillage Member
Weekly Chit Chat 11/5-11/11
Mon, 11-05-2012 - 11:19am

Hello again!

I hope your areas are returning to normal these days.  My area is still mostly without power and gas, and people are getting very grumpy(can't say I blame them though).  My school is still closed today and tomorrow, the hope to open on Wednesday.  Utility crews are just starting to make it to our area and there is sooo much work to be done.  Supposedy my school has power again, but the rest of that area doesn't so I'm not real sure.  Fuel may also be an issue since we use a lot of bussing in our district.

There is also supposed to be a Nor'easter heading our way on Wednesday (oh, joy!).  They are predicting flooding rains and high winds, and of course it's very cold (30s-50s).

It looks like I will be getting some OLD emacs on loan from another school for my lab until my computers can either be recovered or replaced.  While it might seem like it is better than nothing, they are the kind of computers that we had before and nothing that my students need to do could be done on them because they are out of date and incompatible with many current websites these days.  Also, having these in place will let the district drag its feet on getting me the replacements.  Grr.

And it looks like kids in our area will finally be allowed to go trick or treating this afternoon!

Powered by CGISpy.com
iVillage Member
Sun, 11-11-2012 - 9:42pm

Laura - I'm sorry Ashley is having some sleeping issues.  Is she teething?  Jenna had a rough bout when she started cutting her molars (of course, we weren't even thinking it could be molars because she only had 4 teeth at the time).  Or perhaps she might need a little more to eat right before bedtime - sometimes a growth spurt can cause hunger and sleep issues as well.  Time changes certainly don't help things either - babies can't tell that we switched the time on the clocks, they just go by their own perceptions of time.  Maybe she's worried that she'll miss out on something - my mom says I was like that.

Glad to hear your pregnancy is going well, looking forward to reading the results of your anatomy scan in a few weeks.

During the Nor'easter we got about 4 solid inches of snow and very little wind - they had predicted that my area would have high winds and some rain, but definitely no snow. I guess they were off a bit, huh?  There was even a delayed opening on Thursday, because the roads were a mess (still issues left over from the previous storm, too).  And some people who had literally just gotten power restored the day before were knocked out again.  My neighborhood just got power back yesterday (after 12 days)- and all that was causing the outage was a little switch on the transformer!  My neighbors were really fuming over that.  (we never lost power at our house though and the neighbors were getting grumpy with us because of that - not my fault, sorry).

Powered by CGISpy.com
iVillage Member
Sun, 11-11-2012 - 9:29pm

Cynthia - I'm glad you all had fun at storytime.  I can never get my kids to one during the school year and they don't seem to have them in the summer when I can get them there.  Perhaps as you attend more of these events Angie will become less wary of the crowds and strangers - although a little waryiness isn't a bad thing (Jesse has absolutely no fear of strangers and it makes me worry sometimes)

I hope your house is finished soon so that you and your DH can enjoy each other's company again.  Sounds like it's just about ready for you to move in.

Powered by CGISpy.com
iVillage Member
Thu, 11-08-2012 - 8:33pm

Laura - I hear you on not being around the board very much lately.  I am really unhappy with the changes to the boards but I have really enjoyed this particular board so I am not giving up yet.  I did read in their help topics post that the iV offices are in NY where they were hit pretty bad and so that delayed a lot of what they were working on.  Things are looking better and I can at least read posts on my phone now but it often runs very slow.

Anyway, regarding Ashley's sleep, it is hopefully just a phase and she will go back to her regular sleep. Angie went through a tough time a couple weeks ago but it thankfully only lasted a week.  It started with her waking up around 4am crying one morning.  DH went into her room and she was just lying there crying but he was able to comfort her pretty quickly and she went back to sleep.  After that she would wake up from her naps yelling for me in tears (she normally wakes up and plays with her doll) and she was not happy about going to bed.  One night after I put her into bed with no issues she started crying within 5 minutes of me leaving the room.  DH went into see her again (he had just gotten home and wanted to see her) and she wouldn't let him leave the room unless he left the lamp on.  It was really strange but she got upset if he tried to turn it off.  Of course, she woke up in the middle of the night and needed it turned off b/c it was just too bright.  After that I plugged in a little night light and have had that in ever since.  She now points to it before going into bed - she is learning "off" vs "on" so I assure her that light will stay on as I turn the main light off.  She is occasionally still crying at the end of her nap but she hasn't had a problem at night since that week.  I don't know if she had a bad dream or what but she used to sleep in complete darkness and I didn't like introducing a night light since I don't want her afraid of the dark but it seems to have helped.

As far as daylight savings time changing, Angie and Marissa were both up early that morning (would have been normal time) but Angie adjusted to the new time within 2 days and Marissa a day later.  Marissa is still a little off on what we had for a morning routine but Angie is right on schedule again.

Cynthia

iVillage Member
Thu, 11-08-2012 - 11:15am

Hi Ladies - sorry I have been MIA, I'm honestly just not adjusting well to this new format and it has dampened my motivation to visit the site frequently.  Though I really enjoying watching your girls grow and sharing experiences and swapping advice so i'm torn.  i LOVE the halloween costumes.....and I've attached on of Ashley below (she's a lady bug)

Donna - that stinks about your computers and no room in the budget.  I know what you mean about this current solution not being ideal.....especially if your kids can't get use out of them in the interim.  Stinks that the district will likely drag its feet now.  how did you make out with the snow.  We were in the 3-6" range and got NOTHING.  Though i saw some cars with snow on them this morning, so I guess there was some snow somewhere in the vacinity of me?!?!?!  I can't believe the timing of all this crappy weather......I hope you made it through OK and that things around you are starting to return to a more recognizable normal.

Cynthia - I'm glad you found a reading group that Angie can enjoy.  And maybe more interaction with groups like this will help her become less shy and more comfortable in groups/people she doesn't know?!?!?!  I hope the last minute details on the house get finished on time and you can move in as planned by Thanksgiving.....how exciting that it's so close!  Hopefully the snow didn't impact you too much today or yesterday (looks like parts of CT got hit pretty hard).  I feel like ever since we left CT (2009) they've had one horrible winter after another.....just makes me more happy we left.

AFM - Not much to report.  The pregnancy is coming along fine.....VERY similar to my pregnancy with Ashley :)  We scheduled our anatomy scan for December 3 - so about 3 1/2 weeks until we find out what we're having (if the baby cooperates).  I'm excited to know.  And luckily pregnancy seems to pass by quicker when you have a toddler running around distracting you!!!  I can't believe I'm 16 weeks already.

I thought about starting a separate post for Ashley's recent sleeping issues, but it's really on you two ladies on here anymore so I'll just share here and see if you've experienced anything similar.  Around Halloween we noticed that Ashley wasn't sleeping as well (typically we put her down @ 7 & she would sleep until 7-7:30 - consistently).  Starting the weekend of Halloween she started getting up earlier and earlier (this week we're @ 4:45).  She no longer goes down well at bedtime (most nights we have to lay her down then go back upstairs to rock her or rub her back for 10-15 minutes before she'll settle down).  Naps at home have also become hard....she'll do 45-60 minutes on her own, then has to be held/comforted for the rest of the nap.  My mom says maybe DST messed her up with the time change, but the changes were starting before then and have just gotten worse in the past week.  Anyone else go through something similar.....I'm REALLY hoping it's temporary.

I asked DCP teacher if her napping routine has been different.  She said that within the past month she has started CONSISTENTLY being the last child to sleep.....she will do ANYTHING to avoid laying down.....and then will only go to sleep if the teacher sits with her for 5-10 minutes :(  I'm not sure what happened to my awesome sleeper.....but I want her back!

Hope all continues to go well and I'll check back when I can....

iVillage Member
Tue, 11-06-2012 - 1:56pm

Donna - that really stinks about the computers.  I hope the insurance reacts quickly so you can get new ones purchased.  I hope things get back to normal for your area soon and that storm tomorrow doesn't hit as hard as they are predicting.  Love the Halloween costumes.

Things are status quo around here.  We had our Halloween parade with the Moms Club yesterday (delayed from last Monday) and that was a lot of fun.  Angie is so nervous in new places and around large crowds so it was hard to get her to enjoy it but I think overall she had fun as long as I was close enough to hold her hand.  Today we went to story time at the library for the first time and it was a blast!  It is a group for 0-18 months so it was mostly singing songs and playing with toys but Angie did really well.  It was a good sized group but small enough that she didn't take too long to get comfortable and ended up playing.  And with all the music and little kids, even Marissa seemed to enjoy herself until she was too tired.  I wish I had thought to sign Angie up for this story time a long time ago but I never thought she was old enough for it (didn't know about this particular group).  Other than that DH is at our new house every day after work this week and then next week he is taking vacation from work to get stuff completed.  I am exhausted but we are so close to being in our new house.  We now have heat, water and electricity so it is just the rest of the plumbing, cabinets and little details that have to be finished.

Oh, and here are my girls from Halloween:

Cynthia

iVillage Member
Mon, 11-05-2012 - 9:27pm

The kids finally went trick or treating tonight.  It seemed like we were the only ones out there and it was hard to tell who had candy to give out and who didn't.  Jesse had a great time and Jenna caught on to the whole thing just as it was time to head on home.

I

Jesse the bee

Jenna the lion

Attachment: