Weekly Chit Chat 12/17-12/23

iVillage Member
Weekly Chit Chat 12/17-12/23
Mon, 12-17-2012 - 9:02am

Hello again ladies!

I hope you all held your little ones a bit closer this past weekend, and cherished every moment with them.  My heart is aching for those poor families in connecticut.  And being a teacher of young students myself, I'm a little wary of the start of this school week.  We are not allowed to discuss the tragedy here at my school (with adults or students), if a student brings it up we are to cut them off and redirect the conversation.  And, of course, we are all going through our day now thinking, "if it had happened here, what would we have done?"  My morning duty post puts me in direct peril if something like that were to occur here - my job is to stop any visitors from entering or to send them to the office, as well as admitting late arriving students.  Also, all our hiding spots/safe havens have been widely publisized on the news, which means they are no longer safe havens for future events.

How's the holdiay shopping and wrapping going?  I still don't have all that I needed to get, but what I have will have to do since I have no time to  go get anything else.

Powered by CGISpy.com
iVillage Member
Tue, 12-18-2012 - 3:13pm

Donna/Erica - thank you for your kind words in regards to Ashley and her weight gain issues.  A lot of my friends and family tell me that I'm over reacting and that "Ashley will just be small" and "someone has to be in the bottom 1%"......so I try to take that approach.  But I also don't want to under react and possibly miss something major because I'm just assuming "she's small."  Neither DH, nor myself, were big children - but I don't think either of us were this small......it's like being between a rock and a hard place - at the end of the day, even if the trip to the nutritionist turns out to be a waste of time, at least I can tell myself (and Ashley one day) I didn't leave any stone uncovered when it came to making sure everything was OK with Ashley (rather do too much, than too little I guess).  I've certainly scared myself when reading information on "underweight" toddlers, but the biggest concern I have is that Ashley has no issues eating.....she just doesn't gain weight (which could point to other "internal" issues that we can't see).  Don't get me wrong Ashley can be picky, but it's not like she flat out refuses food and I think for her size she eats a decent amount of food for each meal (and I've confirmed this with DCP).....it's almost like she's not getting the nutrients she needs from the food - but to Donna's point, she's still growing in length?!?!?! I'm super confused....

We weighed Ashely on Saturday and she's only gained 3oz since her last weighing (December 1).  At this rate I'm fairly confident that we'll end up at the nutritionist after our weight check on January 3.  Hopefully the food diary will come in handy (though it's hard to document EXACTLY how much she eats, I'm trying my best).

Donna - the school shooting was absolutely horrible.....and they have yet to make any sense of it.  Not that any reason the guy had would have been a "good reason" - but I have yet to hear what caused him to do this.  I think that makes it even scarier for me.  In the past the shootings have been linked to bullying or a vandetta against one of the victims.....again, not that it makes it "right," but at least you can put it into a frame of reference.  I'm surprised that your school's tactic was to just simply ignore the shooting and not speak of it with children or adults.  I would think now is the perfect opportunity to discuss this kind of event and answer students questions.....or at least direct them to someone who can (perhaps a general assembly should have been held)?!?!?!  I guess each school will act in what it deems to be the best interest of their students......

We are ready for Christmas!!! I got all my shopping done early this year and am just waiting for DH to wrap everything.  I said since I shopped for everything the least he can do it wrap everything.....he doesn't agree.

iVillage Member
Tue, 12-18-2012 - 5:15pm

Laura - I certainly understand your confusion and frustration with Ashley's lack of weight gain.  Hang in there and keep fighting for answers.  I think you may have something in the idea tht she may not be absorbing everything she needs from the foods she is eating. Maybe they can test her for metabolic disorders/issues just to see of to rule them out.  I know Jenna eats very well - last night she had seconds and thirds at dinner! - yet we are still being told to feed her more as well.  Meanwhile, my little Jesse hardly eats anything - he refuses dinner all the time, and then later has a yogurt or an apple.

When do you see the nutritionist?  Have you been giving her the pediasure?  My kids wouldn't take the stuff and it's so expensive.

As for work, we did have a big staff meeting yesterday to go over new safety procedures and review some old ones.  (Grr - because they really won't address the real issues).  It really doesn't matter what we do because anyone who is armed with a weapon can a just shoot out the locks and get in.  And now the whole world knows where we teachers would hide the kids, making those areas just as unsafe.  

I think they're probably going to find that this kid was probably bullied (or felt like he was - Asperger kids perceive things differently than how they really occurred most of the time).  And Aspies DO have anger issues and act out irrationally when they are frustrated (usually their anger is self directed though).  My teenager has Aspergers and life can be challenging with him at times - although he is MUCH better since coming OFF of the meds they had him on.  And now that he's older he's better at handling things that would have set him off just a few years ago.  I think this kids mom did a terrible thing by getting him involved with weapons though.  People were constantly trying to get me to put Josh into Karate style classes because it would give him "some discipline and order", but I knew he would never use those skills correctly and would probably use them to hurt himself or others when he wasn't thinking clearly.  Instead he has his drums which have been the best thing for him.  I would just hate to see all Asperger and Autistic kids become vilified over this one bad apple.

I forgot to mention - Josh made it into the drum corp he was auditioning for!  He didn't get the snareline like he wanted because there were only 2 spots open, but he will be playing cymbals and they march right near the snares.  This will give him the opportunity to observe the snare line and better standing in next years auditions.  They got to see some of his personality and excitement for drum and bugle corps come through this weekend.  This is going to be such a fantastic opportunity and growing experience for him.