Weekly Chit Chat 8/27-9/2

iVillage Member
Weekly Chit Chat 8/27-9/2
Mon, 08-27-2012 - 1:51pm

Wow - it looks like I am the first one here this week!

I have heard that many schools are starting back up this week.  Anyone have older kids already back in school?  It is hard to believe that summer is already coming to an end.  What is everyone doing for the end of the season?

I mostly wanted to say that I am still around.  I have been reading the posts but mostly with my phone and haven't had time to respond.  I was expecting Mari to be hungry 45 minutes ago so I am currently just waiting for her to wake up. 

Angie is officially napping once a day now so I am getting used to the new schedule with her.  Basically I try to keep her busy all morning (we went to the park today) and give her lunch at 11:30 and she is in bed by 12:30 at the latest.  As long as nothing bothers her she can sleep until 3pm.  Yesterday was the first time in a really long time that we went out in the afternoon/early evening - it was strange :smileyhappy:

In other news, our house is coming along very well.  The siding went up last week so from the outside the house looks complete.  The plumbing, wiring and HVAC will be inspected tomorrow and then they can start on the insulation and drywall inside.  It is pretty amazing that we are actually keeping a decent schedule and still expect to be in our home in time for Thanksgiving.

Marissa is also doing great.  It has been about 3 weeks now that she has been sleeping through the night and she is now consistently doing 10-12 hours per night.  She is a full fledged thumb sucker so in the mornings I will hear her stir and then start slopping away with her thumb in her mouth but she doesn't cry for me to get her right away.  She is a lot like Angie in that matter (except Angie didn't suck her thumb).  Angie is still doing really well with the baby but is learning how to throw tantrums when she doesn't get her way or is told not to do something.  It is amazing to see the different stages they go through, from Mari being a baby, where Angie was a year ago, to Angie turning into a toddler - by the way, she may be a toddler but she still doesn't toddle.  She started climbing today (got herself on top of a storage bin) but she won't walk, not even a couple of steps yet.

That is all from me for now.  I will try to catch up on everyone else's comments sometime this week.  Enjoy the end of summer.

Cynthia

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-27-2012 - 3:40pm

Cynthia - glad to see an update from you! And it sounds like everything is going well.  YAY for the house being done in a couple of months, I'm sure that will be a huge relief!  Is it close to where you are now? Will you be able to maintain membership in the mother's group you had joined - if you're even still a part of it with Marissa's arrival!  i hear you on the tantrum throwing.....Ashley will throw herself on the ground and kick her feet if she doesn't get her way.....at which point I walk away until she stops (I'm trying hard not to cave when she throws tantrums because I don't want her to continue them in the future).  Ashley is almost running at this point, though she doesn't understand the concept of "chasing her".....if we start to chase her around the room she'll turn and run to us immediately (but it's still cute)!  As long as Angie is getting around I'm sure it's not a big deal that's not actually walking yet.....and maybe the arrival of the baby delayed that a bit as well.  I'm sure she'll be walking soon enough :smileyhappy:

AFM - We just got back from the beach and we all had a blast.  Ashley LOVED the waves, but they scared me because the undertow was so strong that if I lost my grip on Ashley I have no doubt she would have been swept away immediately :smileysad:  For this reason we didn't play long in the ocean. 

I survived my MIL, though at times it was tough.....she started off the trip by suggesting we tie Ashley to a chair to eat her meals since there wasn't a highchair in the house we were renting (her comment through text: the highchair here is just that: a small, high, chair.  Suitable, but bring a tie, long scarf or bungee cord).....seriously, she expected me to bungee Ashley to a chair?!?!?!  Needless to say we brought the bumbo and made due with what we had....we did not TIE ashley to a chair for meals/snacks.  Then, I have poison Ivy and had some itchiness to which MIL quickly offered hydrocortizone, but because I'm PG I can't use it, but MIL doesn't take a simple "no, thank you" as an answer if she's decided it's in your best interest.  I was just ready to fake putting it on when I noticed the expiration date of 1987 (not a typo)......so since it was 25 years old I refused to use it - problem solved.

On another note Ashley is switching rooms at daycare (out of the infant room and into a beginner toddler room) and this week is transition week.  I think I'll need it more than her.  I HATE change and this new room is frustrating me already :smileysad:  I don't like the drop off situation now and I don't like their procedures for cups/foods.  I know it will just take some time to get the hang of everything, but I liked the routine we had.....I can't believe Ashley is big enough to move rooms....or that we'll be back in the infant room again next summer when the new baby starts.....crazy!

This weekend we're going to Penn State to see their first game of the season and DH is so excited to take Ashley there.....hopefully she does well :smileyhappy: 

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-27-2012 - 9:22pm

Laura - I couldn't help but laugh at your MIL.  The bungee-ing your child to a seat and then trying to give you 25 year old medication just tops everything else you have said about her :smileylol:  I hope the transistion at DCP goes well for you and Ashley.  I'm curious what they change about drop off routines but I imagine anything related to food has to do with worrying about allergies and such.  It is pretty crazy to think that it won't be long before you have a baby back in the infant room.  How have you been doing in your first trimester?

I read your post from last week about worrying about when to tell people you are pg.  I just want to say to try not to worry about it or what people think about when they were told.  It is your exciting news and they should just be happy for you regardless of when you share.  For me, DH and I told our parents (and a couple of his friends) right away in my first pg but then had a miscarriage and I hated telling people about it.  So when I got pregnant with Angie we didn't tell our immediate family until after we had an u/s at 6.5 weeks.  Then with Marissa's pg, we were so shocked that we couldn't keep it secret.  I mostly wanted to talk to my mom at that point so we told our parents the day I took the test!  DH even told his boss that day b/c he was too distracted to work :smileytongue:

Anyway, regarding Angie walking, I don't see it happening anytime in the near future but you never know.  She is great at crawling and also very cautious when doing new balance things - like when she started to stand and had to learn to sit, she wouldn't just sit back, she would carefully bend one leg and ease her way onto the floor.  I would like her to walk only so it is slightly easier when I need to go short distances with her and Marissa and so she would be more active on the playground.  Right now she goes on the swings and then I need to find grassy areas for her to play in - when there is mulch around the playground she just ends up sitting in it and can't get around very well.  But I know she will do it in her own time.

Cynthia

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-29-2012 - 1:27pm

Cynthia - you have a great outlook on Angie's walking (or lack there of).....you're right, everything happens in time :smileyhappy: 

As for the routines at daycare it's mostly the new eating/drinking routines.  In the infant room the ratio was 1 to 4 and while there were 12-16 babies in the room the entire time Ashley was there each child's schedule was created based on their needs (so Ashley ate, slept & played when she wanted......within reason of course because there were some "scheduled" activities).  Now that she's transitioning to the the "First Step" room everything is structured...they have snack at 9:15, lunch at 11:40, nap 1-3, snack at 3:15.  They provide all the snacks for the kids, but we provide the lunches & beverages.  Because the ratio in this room is 1 to 5 and the teacher doesn't always have the help she may need after meals/snacks any remaining food/beverages get tossed.  I'm just worried that i'm going to end up wasting a lot of food & milk because I won't be able to track what Ashley is eating/drinking every day.  However I spoke to the teacher about my concerns and she said that she'll be the first to let me know if Ashley needs more or less of something.....so I feel a little better :smileyhappy:  And drop off is just more on the parents to make sure breakfast is heated and served as opposed to dropping everything off with the teachers and having them do it.....just change, which makes me uncomfortable.  We'll figure it out!

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-29-2012 - 1:43pm

Donna - That stinks about Josh not getting his meds appropriately....then getting trouble for behaviour that stemmed from lack of medication.  Is there anything else you can do about it without jeopardizing his future in the band?  COuldn't he have asked for his meds while at camp when he realized he wasn't getting them?

I also hope your future early intervention appointments are more helpful.  It's a shame that their suggestions are nothing new for you & your family, though maybe most people don't try that stuff with their kids so this is the typical procedure they follow? Have you told the "helper" that you've already done this stuff and see what else she has to suggest?  You think they could taylor the program to each unique child & family.....definitely frustrating :smileysad: