Weekly Chit Chat 9/10-9/16

iVillage Member
Weekly Chit Chat 9/10-9/16
Mon, 09-10-2012 - 11:46am

Hello Everyone!

How is your September going?  Any plans for this weekend? Anyone else following college football or the start to NFL?

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-10-2012 - 11:55am

I'm back! Sorry I was gone so long, but wedding festivities started on Thursday so it was a hectic end of week/weekend.  But I'm back to work this week and ready to get back to the boards!

Donna - your school situation sounds crazy.  I mean I guess it shouldn't surprise me that they seem understaffed and have you overworked, as this seems to be the third year now that we're hearing similar stories from you.....but that just bites that they haven't learned from the mistakes of years passed :smileywink:  have they thought about splitting your responsibilities (or perhaps you like both tech/music aspects)....but they give you an incompetent music assistant, perhaps a competent tech assistant would be nice!?!?!

Hopefully Jenna gets more comfortable with your absence as the days/weeks pass.  Ashley has started to cry when i leave daycare and it is breaking my heart.  I just got done telling people how she never seemed to go through the whole separation anxiety thing and not it seems to have hit full-force (though i did have someone tell me that 15-18months is the peak of it, so maybe I just had bad expectations thinking this stage was already past).  I just hate it and I'm not really sure what to do about it, but her teacher was great this morning as I snuck out the door....she surely has experience with this......

AFM:

Lots going on here.  The wedding was awesome! but we're all glad it is over.  Unfortunately, it began raining in the MIDDLE of the ceremony so we had to quickly move everything/everyone inside and continue there, but my brother & SIL just rolled with it and everything turned out AWESOME!  My speech was a HUGE hit.....I got compliments for it all night, from people I don't even know....and I was told numerous times that it was the best MOH speech ever heard.....needless to say I was all smiles about those compliments :smileyhappy:  Most importantly my brother & SIL liked the speech....that's what really mattered.

I had two people at the wedding ask me if I was pregnant (one was my cousin who seems to seriously be able to "sense" other people's pregnancies & one was a college friend of my brother who is now an EMT).  I just quietly told them yes, but to keep it to themselves.  We told my brother & SIL about the pregnancy on Sunday after they were done opening gifts....they were shocked, but happy for us.  Now we won't tell anyone else until 1T is over. 

On Sunday afternoon/evening we found out that my uncle (dad's brother) isnt' doing well....and at one point they weren't sure he'd make it through last night.  Well, he made it through the night - but he isn't eating or drinking so unless that changes it won't be long until he passes :smileysad:  Friday was the 1 year anniversary of my (paternal) grandfather's death so this has been a tough time for my (paternal) grandmother.  I'm hoping he makes a miracle recovery, but it isn't looking good.

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-11-2012 - 11:36am

Donna - i'm sorry to hear about your dad and his continued problems.  It stinks when the doctors can't figure out the issue, but what a disaster when their action plan actually makes matters worse?!?! My aunt is back in the hosiptal (4th time in 6 months)....finally went to a different hospital because she was sick and tired of being sent home for "constipation" when she knew it was more serious than that.  Turns out she had a bowel obstruction so serious that she needed a resection done.....and the previous 3 trips didn't find that why?!?!?!  I understand doctor's are human too, but it's just scary how bad some of them are at their jobs.....

Have you spoken the supervisor of the EI person?  The arriving late and leaving early thing is unacceptable....given this is the 3rd visit she shouldn't have any issues finding your house at this point.  I would also be frustrated with her apparent lack of understanding your child.....I mean I know they have to do acclimate to your child in their own time, but it seriously took her 3 visits to realize that Jenna liked "girly" things?!?!?!  Man....how is your child suppose to get help (or intervention) when the provider is an idiot?!?!!?

Hmmmm....that sounds frustrating about the lazy art teacher.....maybe they should let you pick your aides from now on....or be a part of the interview process if they're bringing in someone new?!?!  That totally stinks.

AFM - We had ashley's 15 month check-up this morning (I posted the high lights below in the milestone section).  Basically, everything is looking great - except her weight (she's still 18 pounds 10 oz).  On the chart it looks like she is barely staying on her "own curve"....so the doctor said while she's not losing ground, she's not gaining ground either.  He said we'd wait and see if things improved by 18 months and if not we'd have to talk more seriously about how to proceed.  We discussed adding more fat into her diet, but I'm not exactly sure how to do that??  It's just frustrating because she eats well....and a lot....she just isn't gaining weight :smileysad:

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-13-2012 - 10:41am

Donna - I'm so sorry to hear about Jenna and her ear infection....that sounds horrible :smileysad:  I'm glad the ER was able to figure out the problem, even if your PCP couldn't (meaning reaction to the meds).  It's nice that you have a specialized ER/hospital in your area that you can take the kids to, even if it isn't the "local one."  It's crazy how every kid reacts differently to things because Ashley's first 3 ear infections were double ones and all she would do was vomit everytime she ate.....no noticable fever or fussiness.....just couldn't keep anything down.  Crazy.

I'm glad to hear she's on the mend and I hope that continues....poor baby!

AFM - Ashley ate avocado pureed when she was 6-8 months old, but as soon as she began self-feeding she didn't care for sliced avocado.  I've been looking into guacamole recipes, or other ways to mix avocado into her foods because I've heard this is a good high fat food to offer her.  I've also thought about peanut butter or almond butter as both of those are high in fat & protein (and unfortunately, Ashley was introduced to peanut butter accidently this past weekend and LUCKILY had no reaction). 

Her daycare teacher asked about pediasure as well.  I hadn't heard about that one, but I'll look into if it's something I can slip into her beverages instead of trying to change around her food schedule/habits.  Ashley is a GREAT eater....and gets a pretty good variety of food.....I hate to suddenly change that and start offering her all fats.  but I want her to grow......it's so hard to know what to do.