Weekly Chit Chat 9/17-9/23

Visitor (not verified)
anonymous user
Weekly Chit Chat 9/17-9/23
Mon, 09-17-2012 - 8:51am

Are we really more that halfway through September already? Wow.

Have you started shopping for the holiday's yet? What's on your LO's list?

Do you have their costume (or an idea for one) for Halloween picked out yet?  

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-17-2012 - 1:33pm

Hi ladies, I am here again.  I wasn't on the computer much at all last week but I have been peeking in from time to time.

No holiday shopping happening around here anytime soon.  Once our house is done we will have money in the bank again but until then things are pretty tight.  As far as Halloween goes, I plan to put Marissa in the flying monkey costume that Angie wore last year but I need to decide what Angie will wear.  I could either try to make her the wicked witch or I figure a lion costume usually isn't hard to come by so I could get her that and be the witch myself.  It isn't like we go trick or treating so I don't want to spend a lot of money on it but the Moms Club I am in did an inside parade last year which it looks like they are doing again.  It is at a special needs facility and they love to see all the kids dressed up and give out little treats and age appropriate goodies for the small kids.

Aside from that, life has been crazy as usual.  DH started back to work on Friday so this is his first full week back.  I am trying to keep busy with the girls and get into a decent routine.  Last week we went out every day and it really helps keep everyone happy.  Basically our daily schedule is get Angie up and fed, then Marissa gets up and fed, then we take a bit of time to get ourselves together and ready before we head out the door around 9/9:30.  I leave wherever we are by 11:15 so we can get home for lunch and then nap time by 12:30.  This gives Marissa only short naps throughout the morning but it means she is ready for a big nap too and I have some days where I get an hour or 2 with both kids sleeping! (like right now)

Angie won't be having her 15 month check up until around 16.5 months b/c I made the appt for the same time as Marissa's 4 month check to save myself the trip.  This was DH's idea and I shouldn't have listened to him.  For one I am interested in Angie's current stats and what the dr says about her not walking yet but after Mari's last appt I realized I won't be able to deal with that on my own so I have had to ask my mother to help me out.  But the appt is made so it is what it is.  Angie is so close to walking, she takes a couple little steps here and there but mostly we spend our days making laps of the house with her holding my hand.  But I know she will get there soon.

Cynthia

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-18-2012 - 1:53pm

Donna - glad to hear that Jenna's ears are looking better.  I hope the rash clears quickly for her.

Angie does cruise all over the furniture and for the past week has grown to love walking holding my hand.  We spend most of our days walking around the living room.  She is taking more and more steps without holding onto something - she cruises and lets go of the furniture for a few steps.  It won't be long before she walks across the room on her own.  I am sure that in a few weeks I will probably be complaining about how fast she is moving :smileytongue:

Today we went to one of the area libraries which has a big kids section.  Angie had a blast but she is really starting to climb and kept wanting to climb on the chairs but not always put her butt down.  I had to feed Marissa while there so that became a bit of a challenge but Angie had fun which is most important these days.  Tomorrow we are going to a play area at the mall which has tons of stuff for her to climb on.  We haven't been there since before the summer so it will be nice to see how much more Angie can do on those toys.

Cynthia

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-18-2012 - 10:29pm
Hi, ladies. I haven't done any Christmas shopping, but I have a growing ideas list on my desktop. I'm excited to get started on some of the crafts that I have in mind.

We don't do a lot for Halloween, but we do attend an event at a nearby botanical garden. Admission is $1 for anyone in costume (adults included), so we've decided to choose book characters this year. I'm thinking of Little Red Riding Hood for Charlotte. I'm planning on being Katniss Everdeen!

We are dealing with a stomach virus in our house. Our middle son, Jonah, was sick all day. By evening, our oldest wasn't feeling well. So far, the rest of us are fine, but I'm so on edge waiting for other symptoms to show up!

I'm teaching three online college courses this year. I'm teaching one right now and then two more after the first 8 weeks. So far, it's going very well. I'm up late most nights grading, but the extra money is helping me to stay home with the kids. I'm thankful for that!
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 09-20-2012 - 9:31am

Donna - I'm glad to hear that Jenna's ears have clear up and that she's making strides toward recovery.  I hope the diaper rash has cleared up.....or that when you start using the cream the Dr. prescribed it clears up quickly.  Good luck with the gym class.....that seems like a stretch from the music/tech you normally do....are they desparate for gym teachers at your school right now?!?!?

Cynthia - I think that sounds like an awesome schedule and good for you for getting out of the house each day.  I know I used to try that when I was home with Ashley on maternity leave....clearly not the same as taking out an older child, but I just needed something to do each day to keep me from going stir crazy.  How is it with two? Being due in April with #2 the panic comes and goes at this point.....I'm just worried about how I'll manage it.....but others before me have so i imagine I'll figure it out.  Hopefully the house is coming along smoothly and is finished by Thanksgiving, like planned (at least I think that's what you had hoped/planned)?

Erica - sorry about the bug, that totally stinks.  I hope no one else catches it and that those who have it recover quickly.  That's nice that you can teach a couple classes online to help keep you at home with your children.  I hope those classes continue to go well for you......at least you can try to schedule exams/work that need to be graded around things going on in your life?!?!?!

AFM - sorry I've been MIA this week, but Ashley has been sick and I've been dealing with that.  I'm not really sure where it came from or what it was, but I got called at work on Monday because she had an elevated temp (not high enough to send her home, but still worrisome) and she wasn't acting herself.  They wanted to warn me because it was trending towards them forcing her to go home.  I decided to just pick her up so that if she got better she could return on Tuesday....if they forced her to go home she would have had to stay out Tuesday.  Well she ended up staying home Tuesday and Wednesday as the fever worked itself out.  She didn't eat or drink anything Monday morning, then only drank through Wednesday morning.  She never indicated she was hungry and if I tried to feed her she just waved it away.....not great with a child who is already under weight :smileysad:  Her appetite returned yesterday and her fever came down as well....she's back at DCP today, so I'm hoping she makes it all day and the fever has run its course. 

As for holiday shopping, we haven't started that yet, but we have some ideas of what we want to get Ashley.  I think the biggest item from us will be her new bedroom/furniture.  She'll be moving rooms so we can use the nursery/crib for the new baby.  But we'll make the switch @ xmas so that Ashley doesn't feel like she's being evicted by the baby.  As for Halloween, DH has been bugging me for a while to decide on a costume and I guess we should really get on that since it's about 6 weeks away.....crazy.  I am not sure if we'll take her out this year or not, but she does a parade at DCP so we'll definitely get her something to wear.

DH has started traveling for work so he was gone two nights/two days last week in California for a conference and now he's going to be gone two nights/two days next week in Connecticut to meet with his new employees (he just did and internal transfer to a new job and it involves managing people out of state).  He'll likely be traveling to CT monthly for a while until things get established and then it will back off to 4 times a year.  I know he's not gone long....but I don't like it.  And it's going to be even worse once the new baby arrives :smileysad:  I can't imagine people with spouses who travel as a significant portion of their jobs (or get deployed as part of the services)....I couldn't do it.

We had our first U/S on Monday and everything looks great with baby #2.....due date set for April 22!

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-20-2012 - 3:48pm

Donna - that does seem pretty strange to me that they would have the music and tech teacher take on gym class.  Good luck with it!

Erica - the class schedule sounds great.  I am a little jealous that you have been able to take on a job that also lets you stay at home.  I am at home full time but getting pretty antsy about not working.  I am hoping that once we move I can find something part time but I have no idea what I will do or how I will arrange child care to make it worth while.

Laura - sorry to hear about Ashley getting sick.  Sounds like that was a pretty nasty fever to last that long.

Regarding travel, I used to do it for my job and I couldn't imagine keeping it up with kids at home which is a big part of the reason why I left after Angie was born.  DH has somehow managed to not travel over the past year but I don't think he'll be able to put it off much longer.  He previously had about 1 weeklong trip per quarter and will probably need to do that again.  I am not looking forward to it at all - I have issues when he is just out late and I have the one day/night with no help.

As for having 2 kids, it takes some adjustment but I am getting used to it.  I think the first 6-10 weeks were the hardest when you never knew what to expect from the baby but Marissa has become more predictable so I can actually structure our day around guessing when she will be hungry or sleepy.  Getting out of the house is more important now with Angie than with a baby.  She goes a little stir crazy when we are home all day.  Today we went to another library and all we do is pack everyone in the car, drive to the library and play with someone else's toys for an hour or so before going home.  That change in scenery makes all the difference in our day.  I have no plans for tomorrow so I think we are going to stay home but it will depend on how the morning goes.

AFM - I made this comment earlier that everyone was probably jealous of with Angie having this predictable routine.  Well, that was out the window today.  I put her down for a nap at 12:30, like usual, and she just wouldn't go to sleep.  I got her back up (dollie was on the floor so I had to go in the room) and she had massive amounts of energy.  She was jumping all over me for an hour before I put her back in bed and then she still played in bed until almost 3 o'clock when it seems she finally got quiet.  I have no idea where the energy came from.

Sunday is DH and my anniversary - married for 6 years.  We are bringing the kids to his parents for a couple hours while we get some lunch.  We don't have the money for anything fancy but I figure I would like just a little bit of time on our own, and of course the grandparents are happy to babysit.

Cynthia