WWYD??

iVillage Member
WWYD??
Thu, 03-03-2011 - 2:18pm

I just talked to dh and he is watching ds today since he is off of work today.

Photobucket
Community Leader
In reply to: mummy1222
Thu, 03-03-2011 - 2:23pm
I don't think you are over reacting at all. Here (living on post), it's illegal for us to leave any child under 10 (I think) in a vehicle. I personally wouldn't have left my young son in the car while I went into any building, no matter how close the car was to the door I went in and out of. I didn't even like leaving my DS in the car when he was little so I could go pay for gas at those walk up stations where my car was merely feet away and I could see it the whole time.

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-03-2011 - 2:41pm
In my state he could have been arrested for doing that. A few years ago a lady went to the bank and parked her car where is was not more than 5 feet from the enclosed ATM where she could see the kid the entire time. Well, she was arrested and her kid was taken from her for leaving him in the car to use the ATM. So no, you're not over-reacting.

Of course, I've only ever heard of them targeting and arresting the mom's who do this, but never the dads. I guess they figure the dads are a bit more clueless about these things and they give them a bit of a break.

Powered by CGISpy.com
iVillage Member
Thu, 03-03-2011 - 4:02pm

I definitely don't think you're over reacting....with all the crazy people in the world today and all the stories i read in the paper I would absolutely lose it on my DH if he did a similar thing.

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-03-2011 - 10:10pm
I don't think you are over reacting at all! Many kids were taken that way!

Powered by CGISpy.com
Thank you Dedi and Kelly for my
iVillage Member
Fri, 03-04-2011 - 9:28am

I would definitely freak out!!

Robin

Mom to 2-year old twin boys, Dawson & Devin

TTC #3

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-04-2011 - 9:46am

Thank you ladies for all of your thoughts! It's nice to know that I am not just a 'crazy hormonal pg mom'!

Dh was called into work at the last minute last night so I didn't get a chance to talk to him directly. However, I sent him this huge e-mail stating why I was so upset from this.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 03-04-2011 - 3:01pm

I personally would never leave my kids in the car for even a second. On the other hand DH does it occasionally if he is just running in for a second. I get irritated about it, but at the same time I know that we live in a small town, he only does it if the car is still in his direct line of sight, and he always makes sure they know to stay buckled and in the car. The one time I really could've flipped out on him was when he locked the car, went to return the grocery cart, and came back to realize he'd locked the keys in the car with my son. The fire dept came to open the door after DH tried to get DS to wiggle out of his seat buckle and unlock the door. On the whole, no he shouldn't be leaving him in the car - but how much stress and freaking out is it really worth? I would just explain the dangers to your husband and if it's illegal in your state then explain that to him, but calmly. Flipping out tends to make husbands feel like you are just trying to be in charge and then they will tend to do things that you disagree with just because they want to feel like they have control over parenting decisions just as much as we do. I know it's tough by I would really just try to be calm about the whole situation.

EDIT - just read your last post.

Anniversary

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-04-2011 - 6:07pm
Absolutely not!! I would have flipped out him too!!
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 03-05-2011 - 5:15pm

I second that !!! Sounds like a totally logical response for leaving a child unattended in a car. This winter two children were inadvertently