39 Wk Appointment - Induction Set

iVillage Member
39 Wk Appointment - Induction Set
Thu, 06-02-2011 - 11:22am

So I had my 39 week appointment today and I have to admit I am a little disappointed (which to a pregnant woman means I almost cried while talking to the doctor!).

They checked me for progress - I'm 1cm and thick - so lets call that NO PROGRESS :(

And they explained that given my age & lack of complications (which I know is a good thing) they want to let me have as much time as possible to go into labor on my own.

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-02-2011 - 12:49pm

Hi from July (hope you don't mind me chiming in). There's no good reason to induce a healthy pregnancy except convenience (which i personally find ridiculous). Let me tell the contractions are much more painful with inducing (its not natural). It also causes alot of unnecessary c-sections due to heart rate problems after getting the pitocin (i know because i almost had to have a c-section). I had my first child at 21 yrs old at 40 weeks exactly and i wasn't progressing fast enough so i was given pitocin (ended up getting an epidural (which caused other complications), a large episiotomy, vacuum sunction etc. and hours of pushing (her apgar scores at birth were not the best--she's great now but it could have been a different outcome) Even though i went into labor naturally, i was still given the drug to induce. I would be happy if

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-02-2011 - 12:52pm

I am so sorry you didn't get more exciting news - I totally hear you about being ready to cry over a little disappointment.

I can't believe they would even bother with scheduling a date when it is so far past your due date.

Cynthia

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-02-2011 - 2:16pm
I'm sorry that you were disappointed to not be making any progress yet and the different date given for a possible induction. Unless there is a complication that warrants it, it is far better to go into labor naturally on your own in the baby's good timing.

I was induced (or at least they tried to induce) with pitocin at 42 weeks with my first DS because 1) he was 2 weeks late and 2) they thought he was going to be huge. The pitocin did nothing for me even after 12 hours at the maximum dose. But knowing what I know now about pitocin I would do anything and everything to avoid even having to have it again. It has been linked to learning disabilities and autism spectrum disorders - my son has both. Also you are hooked up to monitors and IV's and therefore confined to the bed, which is not very comfortable. Many people experience stronger and harder contractions that just don't let up, and it can lead to quick, but complicated deliveries - fortunately that was not the case for me.

I guess what I'm trying to say is try to hang in there and let things happen naturally, don't be so quick to desire an induction just cause you are tired of being pregnant. It's very normal for first pregnancies to go over-due.