9 month check up

iVillage Member
9 month check up
Wed, 03-14-2012 - 4:39pm

Angie had her 9 month checkup yesterday.

Cynthia

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-23-2012 - 8:58am
That makes sense. Lead was probably the other thing they were testing for that I couldn't remember. I think the doctor said they do the anemia test again at 2 years old so probably another stage of changes in food intake.
For Angie, she hasn't changed the amount of formula she drinks in at least 3 months so I guess no surprise that she passed the test. I'm trying to get better about feeding her 3 square meals a day so I guess the formula intake might start changing now.

Cynthia

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-23-2012 - 8:14am
Cynthia - they do the anemia test at around 9 months because by this point the babies have used up any stored iron that they had when they were younger, and they are starting to eat more solid and take in less iron from formula/breast milk. Some times they also screen for lead level at this time as well.

Powered by CGISpy.com
iVillage Member
Thu, 03-22-2012 - 4:35pm
Miki - I hope you don't have to go through the blood test next week. I was surprised that the doctor said they routinely do the anemia test. I had never heard of it before and wasn't expecting it at all. Angie has been right on track with all of her development and not shown any signs of issues so I'm not sure why they do it - maybe it is more common now than it used to be??

Cynthia

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-20-2012 - 4:30pm

Is the anemia test something new. My older 2 have never had an anemia test done. My 14 year old has still never had blood drawn while my 11 year old just did last month to check her thyroid.

I can't even imagine how hard it is to draw blood from a baby...I guess I'll let you know next week after our 9 month checkup. I have a feeling they are going to be suprised with how much weight Nicholas has gained...I say he is probably about 20lbs now and wasnt quite 16 at his 6 month checkup.

Miki

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-19-2012 - 11:33am

I'm glad Angie's appointment went well - or at least that she's a healthy weight & has not serious

Community Leader
Mon, 03-19-2012 - 12:16am
Bruce didn't have a 9 month appointment with his regular doctor. They said they would just see him at 1 year unless we had any concerns before then. He goes to the endocrinologist every 3 months though.

Bruce has had a ton of blood draws already because of his hypothyroidism. He's actually gotten to be quite the little pro with is and now only cries for the pinch of the needle entering his skin. Once the needle is in (be it shot or blood draw), he settles down and is fine again. At this point, he gets blood work done at least every 3 months. He was getting it every week in the beginning and then every 2 weeks for a bit, then monthly for a bit, and now every 3 months. Hopefully it'll continue to cut back as he gets older.
iVillage Member
Fri, 03-16-2012 - 10:13am
Ugh, comments like that from the doctor do not help you feel any better as the mom seeing your little one go through that. Angie had two nurses who were amazing. I had to hold her still, which was extremely hard, and they held her arm out. But they were very reassuring to me in the process.

Cynthia

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-14-2012 - 4:47pm
I hope Angie starts to feel better soon, and that her diarrhea doesn't last much longer.

I have been a bad mommy and have yet to schedule Jenna's 9 month appointment - I've been so busy at work I keep forgetting to call. But Jenna has had to have blood drawn from her arms twice at the geneticist. She screamed bloody murder both times, but the second time was the worst. They had such trouble finding her veins, it took 3 different people and more than 4 sticks to finally get the needed blood. All the doctor kept saying was, "such a screamer!"
She also had quite the fear of anyone in a lab coat for quite a while after that.

That is so funny that Angie calmed down and just watched them draw the blood.