Appt. today

iVillage Member
Appt. today
Fri, 04-29-2011 - 5:39pm

I honestly can't say which week appt this was. My

Lilypie Maternity tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Community Leader
Fri, 04-29-2011 - 7:33pm

It sounds like she was testing you for pre-eclampsia. I was induced at 36 weeks because I went in with high blood pressure that continued to rise while I was there in the office. Here's what the lab work it:

CBC - Complete blood count: This tells them things like your hemoglobin and hematocrit levels, along with the count of white blood cells (along with other more specific information). Hemoglobin and hematocrit, and are looked at as indicators for anemia (if they are low) and white blood cells can be looked at as an indicator for an infection (when they are high).

CMP - Complete/Comprehensive (depending on the facility) Metabolic Panel: This looks at you fluid and electrolyte status basically and can also look a bit at your kidney function. It will tell if any of your electrolytes are out of whack and also if you seem to be dehydrated (or have other kidney issues going on that would affect those lab results).

Uric acid: This is to test the amount of uric acid in your blood. With pre-eclampsia, this can build up as your kidneys start to not filter things as well as normal.

Creatinine: This is to test the amount of creatinine in your blood. Creatinine can help measure kidney function and hydration status. This tends to be abnormal if you have pre-eclampsia.

The 24 hour urine does help look for pre-eclampsia as well. They are testing to see what's in your urine which lets them know how your kidneys are filtering things.

It sounds like she was concerned about the high blood pressure and was going to have you monitored for a bit, but then changed her mind for some reason and instead what's to see what happens next week. As far as Averie's heart rate, the 130s are okay. Normal range at the end of pregnancy is actually 120 - 160, so she's still within normal range.

I hope you can get some more information at your next appointment. I would specifically ask the doctor if she is going to change your due date.

iVillage Member
Sat, 04-30-2011 - 3:06am
Sorry for the confused day. :-( The CBC is the regular blood test where they test your white and red blood cell count, the hemoglobbin levels, etc. Its a routine blood check. The CMP measures your blood sugar level, electrolyte and fluid balance, kidney function, and liver function.The Uric acid test is to check the levels which can cause issues with the kidneys including stones or kidney disease which isn't good for the baby. The creatinine one tests for kidney function. Which is probably why they are doing the 24 hour urine too the check the function of the kidneys and amount of protein to check for pre-eclampsia and if would be healthier to deliver or continue pregnany. I wouldn't be worried as sounds like she's being thorough. But the every week appt might because of these issues to keep monitor of it to make sure its not that much worse. HUGS! Hope all comes out!

Powered by CGISpy.com
Thank you Dedi and Kelly for my
iVillage Member
Sat, 04-30-2011 - 1:03pm
Thanks Ladies, I did some research and got pretty much the same answers as what you told me. Thank you for the well wishes, I will definitely update on whats going on.
iVillage Member
Fri, 05-06-2011 - 9:55pm
After no sleep Monday night, and a busy Tuesday morning, I became quite dizzy (i couldn't even hold my head up straight). I have a New Parent Support nurse (something the military does for qualifying individuals, and she took my bp. It was 150/100... so i was put on bedrest for the day, she came back an hour later and it had dropped to 140/84, she came back an hour after that and it was 140/86... it had pretty much stabilized. And she said that it was probably due to my lack of sleep, feeling like crap, and pushing myself to work hard tuesday morning. she came back on wednesday and checked it and it was 130/80... i think... and since my appt was the next day. she told me to just let my doc know. So we let the doc know at my appt yesterday, and she agreed with my nurse and said i had probably overdone myself that morning. and that i needed to take it easy. ALL of the blood work they ordered last week was normal. And I turned in my 24 hr urine protein test before my appt. so if the results of that are abnormal, i will be contacted. At my appt yesterday my bp was back in the high 130/93 and then 140/88 (they took it twice... once at the beginning of my appt, and then at the end). my doc said she's not worried about it though because it seems to be normal for me.. (its been high since the very beginning of my pregnancy). i also had the GBS test, and another test done (it was a GBsomething or other too i think) of which ill be getting the results at my next appt. (in a wk, on friday).
so it seems to me that everything is okay...
but i should mention that im not seeing just one provider,
i see a different provider almost every time... the military OB clinic has like 14 or 15 providers and when we schedule appts. its for any of them unless specifically noted by the provider, or requested by the patient.
just an update... i hope all is well with all of you as well.
iVillage Member
Sat, 05-07-2011 - 11:30am
Sorry to hear that your having some BP issues. I hope that the extra rest is exactly what you need to keep it under control for the remainder of your pregnancy. Your provider sounds like my regular doctor's office (there are like 5 main doctors and then a bunch of 1st, 2nd, & 3rd year residents that you can be assigned to - we just take whomever we get although some people do request a certain dr.) I don't think it really has much of an impact on the care you're getting since everything is noted in your chart.