Ashley's Still Gaining!!

iVillage Member
Ashley's Still Gaining!!
Thu, 09-01-2011 - 8:06am

DH has been concerned that Ashley isn't eating enough these days.

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-01-2011 - 8:17am
I'm glad to read that Ashley is doing well in the weight gain department. Don't forget that breast fed babies don't need larger and larger amounts of liquid in their bottles since your body adjusts the milk to meet her needs. And they often don't take as much milk when in the care of others and make up for it when they are back with mom - like your Ashley is doing.

When I had to use a day care for Jesse for a few weeks, when he was about 4 months old, the workers couldn't believe that he only had a couple 4 oz bottles each day. They were used to formula fed babies that had 6-8 oz bottles every 3 hours. Breast fed babies need, on average, just 24 oz of milk a day - some take as little as 17oz or as much as 33 oz. a day.

Powered by CGISpy.com
iVillage Member
Fri, 09-02-2011 - 9:50am

Thanks for the reassurance Donna!

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-02-2011 - 11:59am
Have you tried showing him some of this information online? Like the working
& Pumping board here or Kellymom.com.

I know it's really tough for people to get their heads around the differences sometimes. I don't know about you but I get a lot of negative pressure because I breast feed. People just automatically assume that I give her formula, even though I never carry any bottles with me. And when they do find out the I BF her, they ask if I'm going to stop when I go back to work. When Jenna was having her severe reflux issues I even had relatives saying that maybe my boobs got used up with my other 2 kids and are no good or making bad milk now.?!? I know people complain about being pressured to breast feed, but I've personally only run into pressure to formula feed.