Baby Stats

iVillage Member
Baby Stats
Tue, 08-16-2011 - 1:08pm

I was reading everyone's stats from their appointments and Ashley is seeming smaller and smaller by the day :(

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-16-2011 - 1:55pm

I think I can make you feel better. 1st Madisons stats are:

Birth: 7lbs 15 oz, 20.5 in long

2 weeks: 8lbs 5 oz

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 08-16-2011 - 4:13pm

I don't know about percentiles but each appt we go to, the dr shows a little chart -one for height and one for weight.

Cynthia

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-16-2011 - 10:01pm
I always get a kick out of people's comments about Jenna's size (she's perfectly average - 50% weight and slightly higher for length). One person will say, "Wow, she's so big!" and the next person will say, "Oh, she's so tiny!" You have to learn to not let it get to you (I know, easier said than done).

It seems like Ashley is staying close to her curve though. The doctors are looking to make sure they don't cross certain bold percentile marks/curves on the growth charts. (usually the bold ones are 5%, 15% 25% 50% 75% and 95%). Ashley is staying between the 25-50% curves, if she had dropped below the 25% curve then the ped would be concerned. I hope that made sense to you. You can do a google search to find baby growth charts, and some people claim there are different growth charts for breast fed babies and formula fed babies, but they are pretty close.

As for the rolling over, my kids have always done that way early compared to other kids. I wouldn't worry about that right now. Jenna rolled over really early because of her severe reflux issues causing her to have intense pain on her tummy. On the other hand she doesn't have the head/neck control that others have, but it's probably due to her biotinidase deficiency and her reflux issues. The biotinidase deficiency can cause low muscle tone, and she has learned to keep her head in certain positions to avoid having the acid come up her throat.

You can also look up milestones by age on the internet to see what things she should be doing as well as things she might be able to do. But it sounds like she's right on track for now.

Powered by CGISpy.com
iVillage Member
Wed, 08-17-2011 - 8:37am

Thanks for your comments & information everyone.....it really helped me!

Community Leader
Wed, 08-17-2011 - 4:18pm

I'm glad you are feeling better about things now! Bruce doesn't roll over yet either and he hates being on his tummy when he's awake. He loves sleeping on his tummy though. LOL! He has great head/neck control and is already trying to sit up on his own though, so I guess he is just more focused on that for now. :)

As for his stats, our situation is a bit different since he was early and so tiny. Everyone comments on how big he is getting, even though he's still pretty small overall.

At birth, he was 4lbs 14oz 17 3/4" long. At that point, he wasn't even on the charts.

At 2 weeks, he was up to 5lbs 9oz and 18.5" long (if I remember correctly). He was just barely on the charts at that point (in the 1st percentile).

At 6 weeks, he was up to 7lbs 14oz and almost 21" (from what I remember). They didn't tell us his percentiles at that appointment.

At 2 months (almost 9 weeks), he was 10lbs even, 21.5" long. I think his weight was up between the 10th - 25th percentile, but his length was still around the 5th percentile.

He can just about sit up all by himself now, he just still falls to the sides a bit and leans too far forward once in a while. For us, since he was so tiny at first, he looks so much bigger now than he was, but compared to other babies, he's still on the small side of things.

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-19-2011 - 12:37am
Well if it makes you feel better people say about Zaydren "Oh he's so tiny" and I look at them all nuts! LOL

At birth he was 8lbs 15oz and 21 3/4in.

At 4 days he was 8lbs 10oz and 21 3/4in.

At 11 days he was 9lbs 10oz and 22in.

At 5w4d he was 12lbs 12oz and 23in.

I don't remember all his %'s but he's on the high end. He doesn't roll yet, and needs more tummy time but some days don't have time for it. He does scoot though and is a tummy sleeper. He has amazing head control and wants to sit up! He can sit up in a chair for quite some time with no issues.