Callie Astrid ~ May 23, 2011

iVillage Member
Registered: 05-29-2011
Callie Astrid ~ May 23, 2011
Sat, 06-04-2011 - 4:13am

I have been through so much this pregnancy... between it taking 9 months to get pregnant to a little bit a gender disappointment to losing both my parents... it's just been crazy and I've been depressed in so many ways. Needless to say, once I hit 36 weeks, I've been doing "everything" I could think of to naturally have our baby girl.

Chris and I had sex the Friday before Callie was born (5/20) and I had some bleeding during my "clean up" shower. I mentioned it to Chris and I started having a few contractions. I got on my exercise ball and just rolled around. I felt fine, but decided to pack my bag just in case. At one point I told Chris it was time... but then I got in the bed and fell asleep.

Saturday I worked from 9-5 and I did all my normal duties at work. I felt well and energetic. I went to Wal-Mart and got stuff for dinner. Got home, and I made my dinner and then got really mad at Chris because he wanted different dinner than I wanted, so I went for a walk around the block (twice) without him. I think that was about 2 miles.

Sunday morning we woke up and had to do a photoshoot at the covered bridge. We were following around a 3 year old, climbing across a little creek, and "hiking" across wooden bridges. I had a great time with our client and at the location. I asked Chris to take a picture of me, but he said he wasn't really feeling well, and I honestly wasn't feeling that great by then either. Anyways, we went to eat lunch and then went home and put Grayson to bed for a nap and I decided to take a nap too... except I ended up not napping, if you know what I mean ;) I did get in about an hour or so of a nap before I had to leave for work. So I worked from 5-10. For dinner I had some pizza and 2 cans of pineapple juice. When I got off work, I went by Wal-Mart. I contemplated getting some pads, but instead I got some castor oil and some stuff to make smoothies. I was not going to drink the castor oil, I was just going to try rubbing it on my belly.

When I got home from work, I ate some dinner and then Chris and I had sex again (3rd time that weekend!) - During my "clean up" shower, everything was fine. When I got out of the shower, I had to poop, and I did. I then, however, noticed a little blood. A few minutes after that, I started having some mild contractions. I think I had 3 contractions every 3 or 4 minutes. I was talking to a friend on AIM and pretty much using her as a log. I was pacing around the house and she told me to keep calm and breathe. I was probably in pre-labor and needed to hold out rather than go to the hospital and be sent home. Chris agreed and told me I should calm down and do my "ball thing". Anyways, the last thing I said to my friend was "again" to let her know another one had started.

After that I had two intense contractions that were very close together and crippling. I couldn't pace through these; instead, I got on the bed on all fours and rocked and rolled my hips back and forth... all the while screaming at Chris that I couldn't do "this sh--". When the second contraction ended, I felt a huge desire to poop again (which this isn't out of the ordinary for me. I have bad stomach issues sometimes). I went to poop and I felt something coming out. Chris was in the bathroom with me telling me to hurry so we could get dressed and leave. Well, I wasn't pooping... my water was breaking! Both Chris and I heard AND saw my bag pop and fluid gushed into the toilet and onto the floor.

At this point Chris kinda started to freak out, he was telling me to get up and get my clothes on because the hospital was an hour away and it was obviously time. I was still standing over the toilet and told him I couldn't leave, that I thought her head was out. I reached down and felt myself, and I was definitely crowning. Chris didn't really believe me but I sat down on the bathroom floor with my back against the bathtub and assumed "the position"... Chris took one look - "OMG YOU ARE! HER HEAD IS RIGHT THERE - YOU ARE GOING TO HAVE THIS BABY!!!"

I told Chris to get the phone and call 911, but he was more concerned with delivering the baby and he handed me the phone. As I called 911, her head started to come out. I don't really remember pushing, just a lot of breathing and trying to keep calm while telling the dispatcher where we lived. As her head came out, I pooped on Chris. Because I was on the phone, I could not reach her (I couldn't really reach her in the position anyways) but Chris HAD to wash his hands, so we rested her head on my ankle while he washed his hands really quick. When he got back, Chris says he put his hand inside to see if the cord was wrapped and it wasn't. After that, her left arm came out and we heard her cry. Chris was very adamant with me getting the baby out at this point. I feel bad for the dispatcher, I wasn't paying her a lick of attention. And then it happened, she was born and Chris gave her to me. To put everything into perspective, I had 3 contractions about 4 minutes apart, and 2 contractions one after another before my water breaking... so 18-20 minutes, and the dispatcher told me I called at 2:15am and her body was completely born at 2:16am.

Next the dispatcher told us we needed to find a towel to wipe her off with and something to clamp the cord with. Chris went outside to his workvan and got some 550 cord from his hiking trip he went on 2 weeks prior. As he was tying it to the cord, the police showed up. All the cop knew to do was to ask if we had a booger sucker. We did not. Anyways, he had no business really being in the house by this point. No one needed to see me in all my glory... at least not a cop that had no place at a delivery. Anyways, while Chris was getting another piece of 550 cord, the EMS showed up. They brought in a kit with cord clamps and clamped the cord and Chris got to cut it. After that he brought me two receiving blankets to wrap her up with and I asked him to go get the camera for some pictures. I knew no one would believe the story!... Heck, I think I even needed some proof. (And yes, the EMS looked at us like we were crazy, taking pictures and all).

Chris then took Callie and called his mom so she could come get Grayson. I had Chris get me a robe so I didn't have to ride in the ambulance naked. I got up and saw my pool of mess (it was so gross) and got some baby wipes and attempted to wipe off my thighs just a little bit. So I walked and got on the gurney and I was loaded up into the ambulance. Chris brought Callie to me and we explained to the ambulance that we wanted to go to OUR hospital. It was not the closest hospital and the EMS did not want to go all the way there, but we insisted. Chris's mom also got there just before we left, so she got to climb up in the ambulance and check out our beautiful baby. Callie was fine and I felt great, so there was no problem going 20 extra minutes. They kept checking my blood pressure and temperature. They said if anything was fishy they would have to take me to the closer hospital on the way. Whatever. I also had an IV block or whatever on my hand just in case I needed fluids and didn't have much movement (small hands, big needle)... anyways, I asked the EMS chick to help me get Callie to latch on, and we had no problems.

We got to the hospital just after 3am and my doctor got there around 4am to deliver the afterbirth. It was the most painful part of this birth. He had to push really hard on my stomach to get everything out, and I was holding Callie in one arm and trying to get away with my other arm. I felt more fluids coming out of me and I didn't get to keep the placenta like I wanted to. I didn't even ask.

Chris got to the hospital and shortly after they took Callie to the nursery. I had Chris go with them and he got a couple of pictures. Callie weighed in at 6lbs 6oz and was 19inches. While we were at the hospital, we had some mild complications and needed some monitoring. Turns out little miss's white blood cell count was a bit high, but as time went on it stabilized. Most likely it was because she was born at home, which wasn't "sterile" and also because we may have waited "too long" to clamp the cord (which I doubt was the case).

But anyways, she is here and she's perfect. We are all so in love... especially daddy, who gets to be listed on the birth certificate as the birth attendant (where the doctor's name usually goes). He is already wrapped around her little fingers. Welcome to the world, Callie Astrid Brewer!


iVillage Member
Registered: 06-03-2011
Sat, 06-04-2011 - 5:20am

Ok, this is really weird. For some reason my iVillage logged me in under another name??? This is me though, I should be posting as baby.brew!

iVillage Member
Registered: 01-18-2004
Sat, 06-04-2011 - 7:53am


Powered by Thank you Lindy, Tara, Angie, Aimee and Megan for my awesom

Avatar for e1978
iVillage Member
Registered: 04-09-2003
Sat, 06-04-2011 - 8:26am
wow...amazing! totally cool! And the bathroom looks really clean and sparkly in the pic of you in front of the tub LOL! very very cool, and your SO is a hero too!
iVillage Member
Registered: 09-29-2008
Sat, 06-04-2011 - 9:22am
That is an amazing birth story! Congrats!


Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers

iVillage Member
Registered: 06-03-2011
Sat, 06-04-2011 - 10:17am
Haha! I went on a mad nesting spree 2 weeks prior, so our house was pretty clean! I feel absolutely terrible for my mother-in-law, though! She is the saint that cleaned the birth up!
Community Leader
Registered: 07-07-2008
Sat, 06-04-2011 - 12:04pm
Wow, that's an amazing story. Congratulations again on your little girl!
iVillage Member
Registered: 08-13-2007
Sat, 06-04-2011 - 12:37pm
oh wow becky congrats, what a story.beautiful little family u have. You have me convinced to try SEX lol. I already have pineapple and am going to eat it for dinner because tomorrow is my FILs bday. Anyways this isnt about me, what a story and I am sure you gave some of the FTMs some reassurance that labors can be wonderful.
iVillage Member
Registered: 06-03-2011
Sat, 06-04-2011 - 8:02pm
I hope it does give some reassurance. I was scared about natural childbirth cause I had an epidural with my son, but I swear, once my water broke and the pressure was gone, I didn't feel anything downstairs!
iVillage Member
Registered: 11-13-2004
Sat, 06-04-2011 - 10:29pm
Congratulations! I'm glad everyone is safe and healthy.
iVillage Member
Registered: 01-29-2008
Sun, 06-05-2011 - 1:28am
What a crazy story/experience but awesome! Kinda scares me since I live an hour away from my hospital and my bathroom is carpeted ;-) LOL Love the pics though.. And iVillage has had some issues.. so maybe you had an old screen name at one point it decided to use?

Powered by
Thank you Dedi and Kelly for my