excited to announce the arrival of Hugo Charles!

iVillage Member
excited to announce the arrival of Hugo Charles!
Thu, 07-07-2011 - 6:12am

Short version:

Hugo was born July 5th at 12.53pm via emergency c section weighing 9 pounds 2.5 oz and 21.6 inches long. He's doing beautifully :-)

Longer version:

Well Hugo was due on June 23rd and at 41 weeks 5 days still had not emerged so we had an induction scheduled for the morning of the 5th July. Ironically enough, I went into labour on my own at around 6.30am on July 5th! hooray! No need to induction! This is gonna be easy.....(little did I know)

We arrived at the hospital at 9.30 and my contractions were 2.5 mins apart and lasting for 45 seconds or so....went in to be checked and I was already fully dilated! again, great, I thought, this is gonna be so easy! I was rushed into the delivery room and expected baby to be out quickly.....

Well, even though I was fully dilated, baby was still very high so they broke my waters (this was after getting all the medicine for GBS) and the waters were very yellow which meant he had pooped already in there.....not good....so then the pushing started....and kept going...and going.....for 1.5 hours....I was in hellish pain (no meds) and baby was not moving at all....he'd come down a little with the push but would then boing right back up again when I stopped, something was in the way....

Then the doc arrived to give his verdict....he predicted that the cord was in the way...this was ver dangerous for baby as each time I'd push, the cord got squished, and the oxygen flow to baby was cut off causing his heart rate to drop...again very dangerous to baby, can cause neurological damage, amongst other things, so I was getting worried.....that combined with the fact that the waters were VERY dirty and the doc made the decision for emergency c section.

I had always been petrified of having a c-section before, but I had come to peace with it during this pregnancy from various research and watching them be performed....I was happy that my own doc who I know and love did the procedure, he has a cool and calm way about him and this was very reassuring, also the other female doc I've seen a few times when he's been away was there working too, this helped....and you're gonna laugh, but singing Beyonce 'put a ring on it' in my head also defo helped ha ha! ;-)

The worst part was waiting for the epi as even tho they'd given me meds to ease the contractions they were still pretty intense and I'd still had 0 pain relief and had to sit still and be relaxed...luckily they did it smoothly and quickly inbetween contractions and I hardly felt anything (I'd also been very scared of getting an epi)

Hubby came back in and he's just so calm and reassuring in his manner I felt no fear, kinda mostly like I was dreaming..it was just so surreal.....I'd always been nervous about the 'tugging and pulling sensations' I had read about that would be felt when they got baby out but I didn't notice it at all really....it felt very relaxing ha ha!

Then he was out! the cord had been blocking the way and was around his head/neck, he was also covered head to toe in poop poor thing :-( they cleaned him up and I gave him a little hug and we took a pic and then hubby and baby left to do the tests....

I wasn't too happy about being left on my own for such a long time so I just kept singing Beyonce and other songs and that was fine :-)

I then had to go to recovery, again on my own, for like an hour...that was annoying/boring as I didn't even know how the baby was and I was just laying there, feeling itchy lol!

Finally got back and we were all reunited. Hugo is doing fabulously and is soo strong...he's a fierce feeder (my poor boobies!) and is just so strong....he can already lift his head pretty well and up for a few seconds at a time! hilarious!

So that's my story, just so glad he's here....I'm healing really quickly and am hoping to go home Saturday morning.

You can see pics at the following link on my facebook profile, you don't need to be a member to view them ;-)

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150708054100113.712962.793110112&l=ca0f8b980f

Ellie :-)

iVillage Member
Thu, 07-07-2011 - 7:04am
Congrats Ellie!! Sorry to hear about the emergency c-section but at least the time you labored was quick! Welcome Hugo!! He's very cute...

Megan

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers

iVillage Member
Thu, 07-07-2011 - 7:13am

Congrats and welcome baby Hugo!

Cynthia

iVillage Member
Thu, 07-07-2011 - 7:28am
thanks ladies! Aren't babies the best?!
Community Leader
Thu, 07-07-2011 - 8:38pm
Congratulations!!
iVillage Member
Sat, 07-09-2011 - 2:34am
Congrats Ellie! He is adorable and you look great too! Sorry you had to have the c-section, but sounds like best choice and all went well with it.