The girls are here!!

iVillage Member
The girls are here!!
Tue, 06-21-2011 - 12:39pm

Sorry I've been gone for so long ladies!! The girls are actually three weeks old today which seems hard for me to wrap my mind around! The time is flying way too fast this time :(

May 31 I went in for a routine NST which looked really good. I was having contractions but nothing too bad. When the nurse took my blood pressure things got interesting. I ended up staying in L&D & just laying down until heading over to the clinic for my regular weekly check-up. Over there my blood pressure was even higher so I was sent back to L&D. I called my mom and told her to come since I had a feeling this was baby day. My husband came up with the kids to hang out with me.

The doctor did decide it would be best to have the babies that night since my blood pressure wasn't coming down and there was no need for it to stay that high and they were hoping and expecting delivery to fixt the problem. DH dropped the kids off with a friend before my mom got there and at 6:30 we were getting the c-section rolling. I was really nervous about the c-section but that has actually ended up being one of the easiest things to deal with the past few weeks!

Anyway, Adelyn Grace was born first weight 6lb. 3oz. Kailyn Elyse was born 2 minutes later weighing 5lb. 8oz. Both of them were 18.5 inches long and had lots of dark hair! They are most definitely identical!! Both of them went to the NICU and Adelyn required some oxygen assistance. They did so well though and were ready for discharge by Saturday (6/4). They stayed in the hospital until Monday though because of me.

Unfortunately delivering the girls didn't fix the blood pressure problems and it just kept creeping up and up until it spiked Thursday night after they were born. The highest reading they got was 209/120 - SCARY. They were really afriad I was going to have a stroke or a seizure. The nurses were flying around the room getting an IV in me and pushing meds and drawing labs. Fortunately I am fine and they were able to bring it down that night. However it took nearly a week after that before I was able to go home. The OB's ended up having internal medince come and consult with me and start me on meds which I am still on and probably will be for awhile yet. Intnernal medicine then passed me off to Nephrology which is where they send their challenging cases I guess. I've had several tests done which haven't shown any reasons for my blood pressure to be high. They do know it was caused by the pregnancy and they are hoping and expecting to fix itself but I was told it could take at least six months :/ Right now I'm on a bunch of meds to keep things under control. This was the LAST thing I had expected but at least it's under control and we're doing well now.

The girls are doing awesome! They are growing like crazy and looking more and more alike everyday. Adelyn has quite the demanding personality and Kailyn is my laid back little sweetie. Their big brother and sister think they're pretty awesome which is such a relief!!!

ERIN

Above all else guard your heart, for it affects all you do. Proverbs 4:23

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-21-2011 - 2:06pm
Congratulations, Erin! I'm glad that you are getting good care and that your little ones are thriving. Best wishes!
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 06-21-2011 - 4:19pm
Congrats! Hopefully you can share some pictures soon too!
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 06-21-2011 - 4:40pm
Congrats on the girls! Love the names, and glad they are doing good. Hopefully your blood pressure can get regulated very soon and no more meds. Hang in there!