2+ Kids...

iVillage Member
2+ Kids...
Thu, 04-26-2012 - 10:57am

For those of you with 2+ children (or even those contemplating expanding their families)....what things did you consider before adding and what would you recommend others consider before they decide to have more?

DH and I are starting to discuss TTC again.

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-27-2012 - 9:11am

Thank you Donna!!

I think part of my concern is knowing how much time I dedicated to breast feeding with Ashley and just struggling to understand how I will be able to do that with a 2nd one, considering I'll have Ashley to consider in terms of spending time with her and tending to her needs.

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-26-2012 - 4:21pm
Welcome to my world!

Honestly there's not that much more work involved in getting them ready for the day or cleaning up at the end of the day - we do run the dishwasher more frequently though. It is difficult juggling them both and getting dinner ready and cleaned up and feeling like I've spent enough time with both of them at the end of a long work day. I do rely on DH and my older DS to help out more than they are used to (or would like to!).

I usually have DH feed Jenna while I prepare dinner for the rest of us. And back when I was nursing I would make sure I had easy to prepare meals that he could make or get started.

Next year Ashley should probably get sick less often because she's already been exposed to so much. This year I haven't really had to take many sick days due to illnesses in the family. Whenever one of the kids was sick we tried to keep them away from the others so they didn't catch it later on.

You might want to keep in mind that the additional "stress" may have an effect on breast milk production, so keep an open mind about switching to formula down the line (I currently do some breastfeeding and some formula with Jenna and it has relieved the pressure to pump a certain amount each day).

Jesse and Jenna are 22 months apart - so I got pregnant with her when he was about 13 months old (and still nursing! and on birth control!). Although some women can continue to nurse while pregnant my OB recommended against it towards the end of my 1T. Also some babies can detect a difference in the taste, because of hormonal changes, and will reject the milk. Just something else for you to consider.