Baby Flu Shot ??

iVillage Member
Baby Flu Shot ??
Wed, 12-14-2011 - 8:09am

Does anyone know why the flu shot for babies is done in 2 doses?

Cynthia

iVillage Member
Wed, 12-14-2011 - 8:43am
Special Instructions for Children 6 months through 8 years of Age
Children 6 months through 8 years of age who did not receive at least one dose of the 2010-2011 vaccine, or whom it is not certain whether the 2010-2011 was received, should receive 2 doses of the 2011-2012 seasonal vaccine.
Cynthia, the following is info from the CDC website:

http://www.cdc.gov/flu/protect/children.htm

The first dose should be given as soon as vaccine becomes available, and the second dose should be given 28 more days after the first dose. The first dose “primes” the immune system; the second dose provides immune protection. Children who only get one dose but need two doses can have reduced or no protection from a single dose of flu vaccine. Two doses are necessary to protect these children. If your child needs the two doses, begin the process early, so that children are protected before influenza starts circulating in your community. Be sure to follow up to get your child a second dose if they need one. It usually takes about two weeks after the second dose for protection to begin.

Powered by CGISpy.com
iVillage Member
Wed, 12-14-2011 - 8:49am
I don't think you really have to worry too much about Angie getting the flu. Since you stay home with her most of the time she's not in a lot of close contact with others. So I wouldn't worry too much that she's getting her second dose late into the flu season.

Also this years vaccine is exactly the same as last years vaccine. If you got a flu shot last year when you were pregnant with her, there's a chance she could still have some protection from that.

Powered by CGISpy.com
iVillage Member
Wed, 12-14-2011 - 2:24pm
Thanks Donna - that is great info and exactly what I was looking for.
I remember reading/hearing somewhere that immunitites from the mother start wearing off around 6 months and I assume that is especially so in my case since I'm not breastfeeding. I guess I'll make sure she gets the second dose and hopefully it will cover her for a while.

Cynthia

Community Leader
Wed, 12-14-2011 - 10:16pm
The same rules about getting two doses for children 6 months to 8 years of age have been in place for several years now (so not just this year). I'm not sure if Bruce will get his flu shot this year. They didn't give it to him today and he doesn't go back until January for his other shots, so we might just wait until next year so we can get them at the beginning of flu season.
iVillage Member
Thu, 12-15-2011 - 8:30pm
as for the insurance...it really shouldn't be charged. if you are worried go to your local health dept. and get her booster. It should only be $5 if that. Ours just bills the insurance and they don't make us pay at all. Xavier received his shot Tuesday and the earliest he will be able to get the booster is the end of January because we won't be home.
as for the "season" of flu it goes through March according to my cousin who is a dr. he recommends that his elderly patients get a booster every year (so two shots each season). just food for thought. I would like for my dh to get a booster since he is immuno suppressed.