Birth Center or Hospital?

iVillage Member
Birth Center or Hospital?
Mon, 10-25-2010 - 6:29pm

I delivered my first 2 children at a hospital. I had 2 failed epidurals (It just didn't work with my first labor and during my 2nd labor I had back labor and I had it removed so I could move around, only to be told that I couldn't move around anyways!).

Kara- Married to my best friend, Rich. Forever loving and missing our sweet baby girl, Filomena who was born sleeping on 03/10/11 after a long battle with complications from Turner Syndrome. We love you and miss you more than anything baby girl!

Pages

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-25-2010 - 8:29pm

I'd love to be able to deliver at a birth center, but we don't have any around where I live. They just opened a new Women's Hospital in my town that looks really nice and comfortable, and they have some family suites where dad and sibling can stay. I think I'll deliver there this time. My epi failed the first time, too, and it was really bad since I ended up having an emergency c-section and had to be put to sleep.

Anyway, I think that a birth center is much more relaxed and comfortable, and I would definitely go for that if you can!

Community Leader
Mon, 10-25-2010 - 10:26pm
I would love to try a birth center as well, but since I was induced early with my son due to preeclampsia I doubt they would let me.

As it stands right now, I don't know where I will be having this little one. We are most likely going to be moving in early 2011, but we don't know where to yet (yay Army!). So right now, I'm just playing it by ear.
iVillage Member
Tue, 10-26-2010 - 1:02am

I would definitely choose a birth center if it was available for me.

Like you, my epidural didn't work when I had my son. They attempted to put it in four different times before finally succeeding, and it worked wonderfully for the first few hours. After that, I felt everything. They kept telling me that feeling pressure was normal, and I kept saying, "THIS IS NOT PRESSURE!" I especially knew it didn't work when they were stitching me up after, and I could feel every. single. stich.

I'm opting for a natural birth this time, and am switching doctors and hospitals to try to improve my experience this time around. I'm considering hiring a birth doula, since I know the hospital setting doesn't make natural birthing an easy thing.

Lilypie Maternity tickers
iVillage Member
Tue, 10-26-2010 - 8:19am

I was lurking, but felt compelled to post since not a lot of people have actually experienced a birth center before.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 10-26-2010 - 9:55am

Thank you JC for sharing your experience!!

Kara- Married to my best friend, Rich. Forever loving and missing our sweet baby girl, Filomena who was born sleeping on 03/10/11 after a long battle with complications from Turner Syndrome. We love you and miss you more than anything baby girl!
iVillage Member
Tue, 10-26-2010 - 11:44am

Unfortunately we will be delivering in a hospital, which I'm not to thrilled with the idea. We only have 1 birth center in our area that still takes the military insurance and that is a good hour and 1/2 drive with no traffic. So its a no go :( I am in the process of starting a very detailed birth plan lol and I plan on going with it. I want to be able to have the least invasive labor and delivery as possible.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-27-2010 - 8:06am

I'm planning to go with a birth center this time too. It is on a hospital campus in case of complications, but offers the birthing ball and jacuzzi and all those things that many hospitals still don't, as well as doctors and midwives with a more natural approach to the process.

I generally have short, easy labors, but my last was induced because my doctor was concerned about the baby's size due to (well controlled) gestational diabetes. As it turned out, she was the smallest of my 3 by a full pound! But the pitocin induction was horrible, the most intense labor I've ever experienced and the only time I've ever wanted medication. I was completely unprepared for how bad it would be; with my middle child I was induced via AROM after walking around dialated to 5 for a week, and that wasn't any different from going naturally with my oldest, but pitocin is of the devil!

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-27-2010 - 10:24am
Pitocin IS demonic LOL!! I didn't have it with my first one but my second was induced and after almost 9hrs they realized they weren't giving me enough b/c I wasn't progressing.... well, they kicked it up and I was vomiting everywhere... (which actually was beneficial b/c it pushed my daughter down...but you know...) When I asked why I was being induced, I was told by a nurse it was b/c my DR was on duty @ the hospital and he likes to deliver his own patients AND he was getting ready to go on vacation. .... Needless to say, that really added to my frustration!
iVillage Member
Wed, 10-27-2010 - 11:10am

My DS was born at a birthing center. It was perfect and amazing! My DD was born at home with the same midwives from the birthing center. It was even more perfect and amazing! So we are for sure doing another home birth with this little bean too. If anyone is in the Dallas area looking for a birthing center, PM me! :)

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-27-2010 - 8:40pm
I was going to use a birthing center for DS1 but he ended up being 2 weeks overdue and I had to be induced. The maximum dose of piton had NO effect on me at all, so after a day of trying that they turned it off and scheduled me for a c/s the next morning. Forty minutes before they were to take me to surgery I dilated from 4 - 10 cm in just minutes and then started
Involuntarily pushing. He was born 5 pushes later with the cord tightly wrapped around his neck and with severely low blood sugar that required 6 days of IVs to get him stabilized, all because they hadn't let me eat for more than a day(I tend to be borderline hypoglycemic).

DS2 had to be a hospital birth because he was a transverse breech with his belly down. His positioning totally ruled out doing a version and required a c/s. So with my history this one will also be a hospital birth.