Biting

iVillage Member
Biting
Tue, 08-07-2012 - 3:17pm

Anyone else's LO biting?

I haven't noticed Ashley doing this with myself or DH, but apparently she is doing it at DCP.  I got two different stories and I am inclined to believe the one this morning (though maybe I just misunderstood the one last night).

Last Night at pick-up: teacher mentioned that Ashley has been having some biting incidents recently and if they reach a certain number they will send a letter home (she didn't specifiy what the magic number is or how many Ashley has).  Also, apparently Ashley had a biting incident yesterday and the bite was close to breaking the skin (apparently another act that will get a letter sent home).  Now, I'm not sure what a "letter sent home means"......is it like the first of X warnings and then she's removed from the school, or do we discuss an action plan for correcting the behavior, but it didn't sound good :smileysad:  She did say that the biting seemed to happen when there was a disagreement about a toy/book and that Ashley was just venting her frustration....but needless to say I was upset about this.

This morning at drop off: i talked to the head teacher about the biting to see what I could do to curb the behavior.  She said that basically Ashley had a "rough day" yesterday and seemed to be in a funk.  She said she didn't seem to want to play with or be bothered by the other children and if they approached her she bit them.  She said this is a common stage for Ashley's age and hopefully it passes quickly (could even be related to teething).  She didn't mention any letters home or indicate that this has been a frequent problem at all.....which is much more comforting than yesterday's discussion.  We discussed the "disicpline" they use so I can be consistent at home and she said they would monitor it and let me know.

So, anyone else experiencing biting? How do you handle it? Like I said, I haven't seen any of this outside of DCP, but Ashley doesn't interact with many others her own age outside of DCP either.  I just like to think that she was having an off day yesterday and that resulted in the biting....that sounds less serious then a consistent pattern of biting her friends :smileysad:

iVillage Member
In reply to: newlywed2010
Thu, 08-09-2012 - 10:50am

Thank you Donna - all of that makes me feel a lot better about the situation. 

I too have heard that biting a child back will teach them not to bite, unfortunately she doesn't bite DH or I so it's hard to use that tactic.  Maybe i can hope she gets bitten at DCP?!?! (just kidding).  If it becomes a bigger problem I will certainly explore that tactic, but for now I like your suggestion of working with her on words or other ways of communicating her desires/frustrations!

They said she did better on Tuesday (that she made some attempts to bite, but the teachers were able to prevent the actual biting) and on Wednesday they didn't mention any incidents.  Hopefully Monday was just a funk?!?!?!  She's moving to a new room in early September so hopefully a change of environment doesn't throw her for a loop - she tends to handle changes well though, so I'm thinking this shouldn't be a big problem!