Breathing issues for Nicholas

iVillage Member
Breathing issues for Nicholas
Tue, 08-21-2012 - 4:13pm

Things have been hectic for the past month at our house...

the girls are both excited for back to school which starts next week. My oldest DD will be in 10th grade, she already has her schedule, books, locker and all the gossip she missed over the summer. We also just started drivers Ed....so not ready for that!!  My youngest DD will be in 6th grade and we get to meet her teacher tonight.

3 weeks ago Nicholas got a cold/virus that went straight to his chest...he woke up wheezing so we took him to the Ped.. who promptly gave him several breathing treatments. Next step was the hospital because the Ped. didn't feel like he was making enough progress to send us home. Oxygen was 80% with a rapid heart rate when we got there.....5 hours later we were able to go home..but had to continue the breathing treatments every 4 hours. Next day he was fine and up and running around. His runny nose just never went away and Friday the chest congestion started again. Saturday we were back in the hospital again with wheezing,  82% Oxygen and rapid heart rate. Now 3 days later we are still doing a breathing treatment 3 times a day and he still has a runny nose, but happy and running around again.

This isn't something unexpected as my DH has severe asthma it's just that neither of our DD's ended up with it. They think it may be allergies but at this point he is too young to do testing. We can rule out food as he has not had anything new. Will be talking with our Ped. later this week to see if there is anything we can do preventative but they really want to see if it happens again. They think it might have just been a virus that he didn't shake the 1st time. Guess it's just a wait and see.

So glad that I have heard my husband having an asthma attack because it can be a pretty scary thing to hear..I was able to stay calm and not freak out.

Miki

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-22-2012 - 3:56pm

We are doing the parent taught behind the wheel driving required...or should I say my DH is driving with her. So much cheaper than sending her to someplace for them to teach her. I just hope they both survive:smileyhappy:

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-27-2012 - 3:47pm

I hope Nicholas is feeling better now that the weekend has passed.  Did you get to speak to the ped about it anymore?

Hopefully it was just a passing allergy that you know to watch out for in the future.....or a 1 time virus that has passed through.  Glad you were able to not panic because I'm sure I would have if the situation happened to Ashley.

Good luck with the driving lessons and letting DD get behind the wheel.....I don't even want to think about that yet!