Car seat expiration

iVillage Member
Car seat expiration
Fri, 03-16-2012 - 2:15pm
Why do car seats have an expiration date?

MIL has a car seat she bought in 2007 and used for DH's two nieces. Now Ashley needs a convertible car seat and she wants to use that same one. I know they say car seats expire, I'm just not sure why (manufacturers just want more $$?).

MIL will not be driving Ashley frequently and more just likes to have a seat in her car in Case of an emergency while Ashley is in her care. Should we just suck it up and get a new seat?
iVillage Member
Fri, 03-16-2012 - 4:52pm
Good question! I did a quick Google search and came up with these answers:

Technology changes - car seat and car safety technology is always evolving. For example a few years ago the LATCH system did not exist, but now it is common and older car seats may not equipped for this.

Material wear out - plastic stresses and warps over time, straps and fabrics fray and rip, instruction manuals get lost or destroyed, safety labels fade, tear, or fall off.

Manufacturing changes - they might not carry replacement parts for that style anymore.

Some seats are good for just 5 years while others may be good for up to 8 years, but the current recommendation is to retire seats after 6 years from its date of manufacture.

So, your MIL's seat might still be good for a little while longer. Can you check it for an expiration or manufacturing date just to be sure? And make a note of when it would need to be replaced.