changing doctors and have a question

iVillage Member
changing doctors and have a question
Tue, 11-02-2010 - 4:02pm

I have decided to change my dr. and go back to the

iVillage Member
Tue, 11-02-2010 - 5:07pm

No, I don't see how they can legally withold your records. I mean, that's your personal medical history and is very important for your doctor to have. It's been my experience that the ladies up front (who will be sending over your records) really have nothing to do with billing and don't know whether you have a balance or not. I wouldn't worry about it.

siggy_fall_2010
iVillage Member
Tue, 11-02-2010 - 5:43pm

They shouldn't be able to deny you access to your records. If for some reason they try to give you grief about an existing balance (I'm doubting they will as long as you've been good with your payments) request them for yourself and then deliver them to your new doctor on your own. It's more of a hassle but it would work.

ERIN

Above all else guard your heart, for it affects all you do. Proverbs 4:23

iVillage Member
Tue, 11-02-2010 - 11:29pm

Yeah, I agree with the pp's -- I don't think they can legally withhold your records.
It might be a good idea to call the billing department and ask for a monthly payment plan to be 'officially' set up anyway. Most Drs. and hospitals will gladly have you do a set montly payment until you're paid off. And then you don't have to worry about any issues either way. :) HTH!

Jill
CL-Signature Showcase
Mom to Rossalyn (8/22/07) and Sean (12/29/08)
Resort manager, avid scrapbooker, and Disney World guru.