Done with purees?

iVillage Member
Done with purees?
Fri, 02-10-2012 - 8:28am

For those of you whose LOs are eating purees, when do you phase them out?

iVillage Member
Fri, 02-10-2012 - 11:10am

We are still pretty much on purees as Nicholas only has 2 teeth but I can tell he is wanting something more. I have given him very soft pieces of carrots, bananas and cauliflower. I'm still making all his pureed vegetables...just trying to make them a little chunkier.

We are not the best eaters in the word as we are always on the go and seem to eat out alot...Its hard because I want him to eat more than just fruits and vegetables but don't have a blender handy at a restaurant to make him something. I find myself getting the pouches of dinners just hoping he can start eating more real food soon.

I'm also interested in what everyone is still eating.

Miki

iVillage Member
Fri, 02-10-2012 - 1:01pm
Jenna is still getting the purees, because I have a bunch left still. Once they are gone though she will start getting the stage 3 foods (chunkier textures) and more table foods.

Babies don't necessarily need to have teeth to eat/chew solid foods. Jenna is able to do some serious gnawing on pretzel rods. Jesse didn't have any teeth until the day before he turned one and he could chew anything. I would say, offer them less solid foods and see what they can do with them, just keep an eye out for choking hazards

Powered by CGISpy.com
iVillage Member
Fri, 02-10-2012 - 1:07pm

I am pretty much phasing out the purees already but in the sense that I am mashing most of Angie's food rather than pureeing it smooth.

Cynthia

Community Leader
Sat, 02-11-2012 - 9:29am
We just started buying some stage 3 foods for Bruce. Right now, we offer him the baby food at his meals since they are usually differently timed than ours. Then when we are eating, we offer him some of our food as well. If he's eating at the same time as us, he gets a bit of both (his food and our food).

Bruce has 5 teeth (2 top, 3 bottom) and I've noticed that when he's "chewing" the food isn't usually in the front, so I agree with Cynthia about the baby's really gumming their food on the sides rather than chewing it with the front teeth.
iVillage Member
Mon, 02-13-2012 - 10:51am

Thanks ladies! Sounds like we're on par with most of you!

iVillage Member
Tue, 02-21-2012 - 2:36pm

Thanks for this post, i was wondering these things myself.

Liliana owns my heart. Born 6/16/2011

iVillage Member
Tue, 02-28-2012 - 6:15am
I've been offering LO cheerios but he just plays with them!
iVillage Member
Wed, 02-29-2012 - 1:10pm
I pureed some spinach the other day and Angie had some of the biggest tears I have ever seen. So I think I am officially done with the food processor!
In the past couple weeks I have tried to give her more and more finger foods. I gave her scrambled egg yolk this weekend and she loved it! Then, at the recommendation of some other moms, I finally gave her some grapes (peeled and cut in quaters). I was so worried about them being a choking hazard but when they are peeled they are really soft and she like those too.
It seems the only soft stuff left that I am giving her is yogurt and I am going to try her on some cottage cheese in the next week or so. Otherwise she gets her fruit and oatmeal for breakfast and the rest of her meals are more foods she feeds herself.
I am now just starting to wonder when she is old enough to start to learn how to use a spoon since she has been trying to grab at it lately (now that makes a BIG mess).

Cynthia

iVillage Member
Wed, 02-29-2012 - 4:11pm
Cynthia - when Jesse was little and started grabbing the spoon, I would give him a spoon to use but I would also have a spoon to use. It worked well for quite a while until he realized that I was sneaking in food that wasn't on his spoon - then he wanted both spoons.