High Fat foods for toddlers

iVillage Member
High Fat foods for toddlers
Tue, 09-11-2012 - 11:51am

The doctor suggested we add more fat into Ashley's diet....any suggestions on how to do this.

She already eats a lot of cheese (cheese stick every day & normally mac&cheese for lunch) and I try to put butter on a lot of things as well.

My mom suggested avocado (Ashley liked this pureed as an infant, but never took to it in solid sliced form).

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-13-2012 - 10:52am

Thanks Donna!  Sounds like you found the same website I did.....just wanted to throw the question out there to see if anyone had experience with this or had tried some of these things!

Ashley already gets the whole milk and eats a cheese "stick" every day.  She used to eat 1 4oz serving of whole milk yogurt, but I stopped giving it to her because of this new classroom's feeding schedule/rules.  I may have to work on re-introducing this again.

Ashley has never done well with ground hamburger meat....but I hadn't thought of meatloaf!

Peanut butter isn't allowed at her daycare, but I checked and almond butter is so I'm going to see if I can start working that in to her lunches or snack.  I talked to the teacher about me proving Ashley with fattier snacks everyday (the school provides twice daily snacks, but they are "healthy")....she said this was OK so now I just need to figure out what to send.

Maybe ice cream would be a good after dinner snack each night.....oh the terrible habits I am starting.

I'm also looking into how to get her to eat avocado (going to start with guacamole)....she liked it pureed as a baby, but never took to it as a finger food. 

I borrowed the book "deceptively delicious" from the library.....it's about how to hide vegetable in things your children like (cookies, brownies, mac&cheese) so they'll eat "healthier"....but I figured it could help me sneak avocado into something?!?!?!

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-17-2012 - 1:38pm
I don't have any suggestions but I am a little jealous of your girl - wouldn't it be nice to be instructed to eat all those fatty foods?? Come on, just eat a little more ice cream....
Personally, I would just be a little nervous about getting her into bad habits. She may be one of those people who never gains weight but she could also start growing and then end up having difficulty choosing healthy options later in life (like many of us). All I can really say is good luck, I hope you find a good meal plan for her that helps her gain the weight she needs to.

Cynthia

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-20-2012 - 9:36am

Cynthia - bad habits is definitely a concern, but the doctor said she should be young enough right now to eat the foods without forming horrible habits (i hope he is right!).  I'm trying to do little things - like adding olive oil to vegetable and give her ranch dressing to dip her meats in, putting almond butter/peanut butter on crackers.....as opposed to feeding her ice cream all the time.  So hopefully these little things help with weight, but don't hurt the healthy habits we've started (she LOVES fruits/vegetables and gets a decent balance of everything at each meal).