How can my due date be right?

iVillage Member
How can my due date be right?
Sun, 11-21-2010 - 11:47am

Ok so here's the story...

My LMP was Aug 18th, that put me, according to their 'wheel' with a DD of May 25th. I went to the Doc who looked at the baby and changed the DD to June 23rd.....he never even asked when my LMP was......that would mean that I ovulated and concieved October 1st! Surely that's far too late after my LMP to be accurate? Sounds nuts! That implies I would have O'ed over 6 weeks after my LMP! Is this even possible? Let me know what you ladies think...I saw another member wondering the same thing and I agree, 2 weeks make a BIG difference....especially at the end...they induced my daughter and I would rather like to avoid that this time if poss. I guess with a later DD that prevents issues of being induced because you're too far 'overdue'!

Now I think of it, he never took any official measurements and couldn't get that clear of a pic...maybe just need to wait until the next appointment Dec 9th...FRUSTRATING!

IDK....this is all wierd!

Hope you're all feeling great...the end of the first tri beckons - hooray!

:-)

Ellie

Community Leader
Sun, 11-21-2010 - 12:54pm

How many days did you normally have between your periods before you got pregnant? Some woman have very irregular periods and end up with really long cycles. Some woman ovulate late which can change things as well. Then you also have to account for implantation time. Implantation can take as little as 6 days, but also up to 12 days (so almost two more weeks right there).

iVillage Member
Sun, 11-21-2010 - 1:09pm
I'd say my cycles were around 5 weeks long on average.....
Community Leader
Sun, 11-21-2010 - 1:34pm
It does seem like saying you ovulated around October 1st would be a really long time. So either you had a really long cycle that month and ovulated later or maybe the doctor is wrong on his opinion of the ultrasound (especially if he didn't measure anything). Did you have any spotting at all in September? If so, maybe you had an extremely light period in September and that is the different?

Either way, I'd definitely mention it to the doctor at your appointment. I'd just say something like "I was thinking back to my LMP which was August 18 and I'm not understanding how my due date could be June 23rd. How would that be possible?"

I hope you get some good answers at your appointment.
iVillage Member
Sun, 11-21-2010 - 2:09pm
yep that sound like a good idea....I didn't get that much info from him in general perhaps due to the language barrier......I had no spotting at all in Sep...I'm defo sporting a pretty obvious bump now though! I feel like I'm further on the 9.5 weeks if you know what I mean! Oh well...time will tell I guess!
Thanks for your thoughts! x
iVillage Member
Sun, 11-21-2010 - 3:26pm
when did you get your first BFP?

iVillage Member
Sun, 11-21-2010 - 4:27pm
I was testing up until end of September and never got a BFP...then went in to take blood test in early Oct and my levels were at 30 which is so low it came back as 'inconclusive' they ran the sample again and said I was indeed preggo...I went back a week later to check levels and they'd risen to 1200...
Community Leader
Sun, 11-21-2010 - 4:41pm
You would've had to had already had implantation at the point that you had the 30 result, so you probably conceived 6-12 days before that at the least.
iVillage Member
Sun, 11-21-2010 - 5:45pm

with an HCG level of 1200, that puts you at approximately 18dpo (http://www.babymed.com/pregnancy-symptoms/normal-hcg-pregnancy-hormone-levels-pregnancy) so when you got that result you were about 4 and 1/2 weeks pregnant. So the due date the doctor gave you sounds a lot more accurate than the due date by your LMP. You must have ovulated a lot later than you thought. (could be due to many factors!) Measurements by early ultrasound are usually pretty accurate. I hope this helps ease your mind a bit! Definitely don't hesitate to ask for another ultrasound for measurements though if your insurance allows it!

iVillage Member
Mon, 11-22-2010 - 5:26pm
If you have irregular menstrual cycles, then it is possible to have O'ed that late. I would seriously question the 1 month difference in your EDD's though!! Maybe the doc had a brain fart and meant May 23 instead of June 23?? I would definitely ask for another dating u/s! That is too big of a difference IMO.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 11-23-2010 - 1:23am
I'll bring it up at my next appointment......