Moving to a toddler bed

iVillage Member
Moving to a toddler bed
Mon, 08-20-2012 - 8:31am

BTDT moms - when have you moved from the infant crib to a toddler bed?

We were hoping to transition Ashley from her crib before the new baby arrives (April 2013), but have been realizing that she might still be a little young for that?!?!  Just wondering what age the transition happened for your older children and how the transition went?

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-20-2012 - 10:45am
I was actually surprised to see that a friend of mine just transitioned her son to a toddler bed and he is only 16 months old.
I am also curious to hear what others have done.
Personally, when we purchased our crib for Angie we only bought the bed rails to transition it to a full size bed. The adjustment to make it into a toddler bed just seemed overly expensive so I am hoping we will just be able to skip that step. Maybe wait a little longer before changing from a crib and then just get guards for the sides of the bed. Input on that would be nice too :smileyhappy:

Cynthia

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-20-2012 - 1:49pm

Cynthia - maybe i should have been more clear.  I didn't necessarily mean to a toddler bed as much as out of her crib.  We did the same and bought the double bed conversion kit, never expecting to use the toddler bed.  But we also didn't intend to get a second crib when we have our 2nd child.....the hope being that Ashley could be out of her crib and the new baby could use that one.  Neither of us considered the appropriate age for moving Ashley out of her crib.

I've heard a couple of stories of kids who were 18 months (DH's neice being one of them), but I wasn't sure that was the "norm".  I have heard the suggestion of just putting a mattress on the floor for a while when starting the transition, which could mean an earlier transition would be possible.

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-21-2012 - 8:54am

Great to know....we were planning to make the transition after christmas.  Make a big deal about santa bringing a bed and getting her a new room....that way she doesn't feel like we are replacing her with the baby (but we plan to use the same nursery for the baby so Ashley needs to move to her "big girl" room!  She's always dealt with transition well, so I'm hoping this will go well too....and by early January she'll be 19 months so hopefully no issue with a big bed, or even a mattress on the floor. 

Thanks!