Positive home pregnancy test but negative dr test?

iVillage Member
Positive home pregnancy test but negative dr test?
Tue, 10-26-2010 - 5:05pm

hi there,

I am new here and while searching the internet looking for some guidance came across this site. I took a hpt sunday (2 days after missed period) and it was VERY faint. so faint i thought i might be seeing

iVillage Member

Mine was the same with my first-very faint and we did a digital and it was positive.

They didn't even test me at the intial. The only way they confirmed was an ultrasound at

iVillage Member

IIWY I'd test again at home with the same brand test you used on Sunday and see if the line is any darker today. The Dr's office may use a test with a higher sensitivity than what you used at home. I've had two chemical pregnancies this year and the lines on my home tests were faint and never got really dark, then just faded away to white after a few days.

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

iVillage Member

I think you should request a blood test. Also, what time of day did you test? Since you're around 4wks, it may be too early to use urine from mid-day.

Kara- Married to my best friend, Rich. Forever loving and missing our sweet baby girl, Filomena who was born sleeping on 03/10/11 after a long battle with complications from Turner Syndrome. We love you and miss you more than anything baby girl!
iVillage Member

I had this exact same thing happen with DD. I went back a few days later and sure enough it was positive. The test they used at the Drs office wasn't as sensitive as the one I took at home. I would just go back in a few days and have them do another test.

DD 9/29/06 DS 2/20/09 EDD 9/29/11 --> also our 10 year anniversary!
iVillage Member

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-27-2010 - 11:39am

Something similar happened to me--I tested and got 3-4 bfp's, and made an appt with my ob.