Pregnant with Celiac's

iVillage Member
Pregnant with Celiac's
Tue, 10-26-2010 - 7:34am

After being sick and in pain for over a year, I found out in early 2009 that I have Celiac's disease (gluten allergy). My diet changed drastically and this is my first pregnancy since then. Since I cannot have wheat, barley, rye or oats, I'm a little concerned that my diet may not be enough for my little bean. I take a lot of vitamins in addition to my prenatal and folic acid. I'm going to meet with a nutritionist during my first OB appt and hopefully she'll be able to point me in the right direcetion as to what I should be eating more/less of.

Kara- Married to my best friend, Rich. Forever loving and missing our sweet baby girl, Filomena who was born sleeping on 03/10/11 after a long battle with complications from Turner Syndrome. We love you and miss you more than anything baby girl!
Community Leader
Tue, 10-26-2010 - 11:32am

I hope you get a lot of great information at your appointment! I don't have any food restrictions right now, but I am planning on eliminating dairy closer to the end of the pregnancy in hopes that I'll be able to breastfeed my little one. I could not breastfeed my son because he could not handles dairy (he ended up being on soy formula). Back then, no one told me to try cutting out the dairy I was eating and then I might have been able to breastfeed him.

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-26-2010 - 1:40pm

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-26-2010 - 2:10pm
Hmmm... I've never heard of hemp hearts. I'll have to try that! I've learned that eating gluten-free most things keep ya regular lol!

I had a dairy intolerance when I was little but I outgrew it. However, lately I've noticed that anything dairy sends me to the bathroom.... I may have to cut that out too!!
Kara- Married to my best friend, Rich. Forever loving and missing our sweet baby girl, Filomena who was born sleeping on 03/10/11 after a long battle with complications from Turner Syndrome. We love you and miss you more than anything baby girl!