Routines

iVillage Member
Routines
Tue, 09-18-2012 - 2:13pm

Do you have a daily routine for your toddler?  If yes, how strictly do you follow it each day and what do you do if something interferes with the routine?

Angie has fully transistioned to 1 nap per day so that dictates our routine lately.  However she seems to be getting up earlier and earlier which sometimes makes her tired before I am ready for her to take a nap.  I have been trying to do something outside the house every day then get home in time for lunch at 11:30 and nap by 12:30 but if she is exhausted then she gets too cranky to enjoy our time out of the house.  So I'm not sure if I should be adjusting her bedtime or just keep going with the way things are and hope she adjusts to the timing of her nap.

Right now this is our average schedule.

7/7:30am - out of bed and breakfast
10ish - snack
11:30am - lunch
12:30pm - nap
3/3:30pm - snack
5:30pm - dinner
7:30pm - bed

She hasn't been seeming exhausted at bed time lately so I could keep her up until 8 in order to maintain our morning time but that gets hard with trying to finish the night with Marissa as well.  I'm interested in what everyone else's toddler schedules are.

Cynthia

iVillage Member
In reply to: cj_mom2b
Thu, 09-20-2012 - 9:52am

Ashley follows two schedules (1 on the weekends with us and 1 during the week at DCP).

DCP:

Up @ 6:15 --> Breakfast @ 7 when we arrive at DCP

Morning Snack is at 9:15 with lunch being served @ 11:40

She goes down for 1 nap at DCP from 1-3

Afternoon Snack is at 3:15 and then I pick her up between 4-4:30 (sometimes she'll nap on the 30 minute drive home)

Dinner is usually 6-6:30 and we put Ashley in bed at 7.  Lately she stays up and talks to herself until 7:30ish.....

Weekends:

Ashley has been waking up closer to 7 when we don't have to wake her for DCP

We eat breakfast @ 7-7:15 and have snack @ 9:15-9:30

With us she normally takes 2 naps, the first one being @ 3 hours after she wakes up (so 10ish)

We'll do lunch @ 12 followed by another nap/snack in the afternoon (timing varies based on activities)

Dinner and bed time are similar to weekdays

I should probably work on forcing the 1 nap a day routine on the weekends, but if she's tired enough for two naps I certainly don't want to deprive her of the sleep.  DCP is definitely 'strict' in it's routine and it doesn't vary much.....weekends we kind of go with the flow (feed her when she's hungry, put her to sleep when she's tired). 

In terms of changing bed times....I've found with Ashley that later bed time at night doesn't correspond with later wake-up time in the morning (which is frustrating).  I think if you keep with your current routine Angie will adjust in time.  It took Ashley a while to get used to only one nap at daycare, but she eventually did.....and she is sleeping less and less on the trip home in the car.  Maybe part of the crankiness is the clingliness you've mentioned in other posts?  I'd say stick with what you've got for a couple more weeks and see if she adjusts.....if not then consider changing your routines.....

iVillage Member
In reply to: cj_mom2b
Thu, 10-04-2012 - 6:07pm

I guess I have a night owl:smileyhappy:...mostly he takes 1 nap but somedays he wants 2

Nicholas is usually up between 7:45 and 8:30 (my mom watches him at our house so we don't have to get him anywhere in the mornings).

Breakfast about 8:30

Walk with the dog around the neighborhood or go to zoo at 9:30 (they do the zoo once a week)

(If he is tired my mom puts him down about 10:30 for about an 45 minutes...otherwise they just play till lunch)

Lunch around noon

Nap after lunch (he will sleep about 2 1/2 hours)

Snack after nap

At 3:30 the go pick up my DD from school then play outside with the neighbor kids till my DH gets home about 5

Dinner about 6 ish depending on what we have going on that night.

Usually down for bed between 8:30 and 9