Separation Anxiety

iVillage Member
Separation Anxiety
Mon, 09-10-2012 - 11:58am

Anyone's sweety experiencing separation anxiety?

I was just telling people how Ashley never had a problem with this and then BAM all of a sudden she has a problem with this.  It only seems to happen when I leave her at daycare, but the past three drop offs have been MISERABLE :smileysad:  I did hear this weekend that 15-18 months tends to be the height of separation anxiety, so perhaps Ashley isn't alone in this?!?!

Any tips/tricks?

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-11-2012 - 11:46am

Great suggestions, thanks!

Today we were late to drop off because of her doctor's appointment and when we got there all her friends were playing. She got upset when I set her on the floor, but as soon as her friends came over and started playing with her she was instantly happy and I took that opportunity to sneak out the door.....no tears!  I think I just need to make a more quiet exit in the future.....not that I've ever interrupted her playing to say good-bye, but I could certainly be less obvious about it.

And the teacher agrees that the change in rooms, routines and coming back from a long weekend away can all play into the sudden anxiety issues!  She said that besides that, Ashley has been handling the adjustment better than the other 4 children in her class so that was nice to hear :smileyhappy:  I guess she can't be perfect :smileywink:

iVillage Member
Sun, 09-16-2012 - 12:21pm
I don't leave Angie very much so I don't know about separation anxiety but in the past couple weeks she has gotten super clingy to me. I have heard this is the peak age for that kind of stuff so I am trying to just go with the flow. I try to give her as much attention as I can including when I need to care for Marissa. I do find that if I need to leave the room it is best when she is distracted and I make a clean get away. If she hears me talking is another room she gets upset.

Cynthia