Sippy Cups

iVillage Member
Sippy Cups
Fri, 12-16-2011 - 8:13am

The doctor said we could start introducing Ashley to sippy cups with a little bit of water in them.

iVillage Member
Fri, 12-16-2011 - 8:41am
As a BTDT mom, it's really too early for a zippy cup. They really don't get the hang of them until closer to 1 year old. My kids always did much better on the ones with straw-like tops.

Powered by CGISpy.com
iVillage Member
Fri, 12-16-2011 - 9:11am
I got Angie a couple of Playtex brand cups that have handles on both sides and the insert inside to prevent spilling. I gave it to her a couple days ago and she instantly grabbed the handles and put the nozzle (?) part in her mouth and started sucking on it. I was amazed and she was happy but since then she hasn't figured out how to suck on it and prefers to try chewing the nozzle. I was thinking about removing the insert but for now it is more to get her used to a cup so I think it is OK to let her just play for a while.
Also over the past week I have let her take a little sip out of my regular cup when I have some water. She gets pretty excited about it but doesn't seem to know how to swallow the water so it dribbles over her chin - very cute but very wet! I'm not worried about it since she doesn't need the water and she will learn in small steps.
I've seen some other (older) kids with the straw cups but I haven't seen any that are spill proof so I'm sticking with what I've got for now until I know she won't throw it on the floor which probably won't be until after the 1 year mark.

Cynthia

iVillage Member
Fri, 12-16-2011 - 8:58pm
On another group a lot of moms love the tomee tippe (sp?) ones.