Sleeping Issues

iVillage Member
Sleeping Issues
Fri, 11-04-2011 - 10:58am
This weeks has been a nightmare in terms of ashley's sleep habits :(. A while back I wrote about starting a routine and how well that was going and it was, for about 2 weeks. Then she started taking longer to go down at night and now she flat out refuses to sleep in her crib before 1-2 a.m.

Out of desperation (and pure exhaustion) we tried CIO Sunday-tuesday. Every night the crying got worse, not better and by Tuesday daycare was commenting on her different daytime demeanor. So I stopped that (never really liked it anyway). We've now resorted to letting her sleep on our chests (in the glider/bed/couch) until we can lay her in the crib peacefully.

I know there are other sleep training methods out there, but I think those are more geared towards getting her to sleep through the night - I'm not interested in that (I don't mind a couple of night time feedings). I need to find a way to get her to sleep in her crib @ 7-8 pm without screaming when we put her down.

The frustrating part is I know she can soothe herself to sleep because when im done feeding her in the MOTN I simply put her in the crib and leave (whether she's awake or asleep) and she never fuses then?!?!

I'm seriously at a loss for what the issue is or what to do. But sleeping on our chests doesn't allow for the most restful sleep for me or DH and he's gone Monday through Thursday this week for a business trip :( help!!!!!
iVillage Member
Fri, 11-04-2011 - 6:10pm
Try starting earlier. If they get over tired it is much more difficult. Research cosleeping and see if its for you.
iVillage Member
Sat, 11-05-2011 - 1:19am
Do you put her in the crib other times besides just at night? Maybe try having her play in there during the day/mornings some so she associates it with a safe/comfortable place and then try? Thats all I can think of!