Vegetables first?

Community Leader
Vegetables first?
Fri, 09-30-2011 - 12:00pm

Hello ladies! Bruce started eating today with rice cereal and he did great. His pediatrician said to start with vegetables, just wondering if anyone else will be starting with vegetables soon. Do you have a plan already for which one to start with?

Pages

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-30-2011 - 1:34pm

Yay for starting solids and even better that he did so well!

Cynthia

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-30-2011 - 2:30pm
I'm waiting until next week's well visit to see if the ped thinks Jenna is ready for solids. I hope she is, it will make giving her the supplements a bit easier and maybe ease some of her reflux symptoms as well.

I always start with the veggies after the cereal. Both my boys love their veggies (and their fruits). I start with the "yucky" green ones first because they are not as sweet and don't lead to the sweet cravings like carrots and sweet potatoes do.

Another thing to keep in mind when feeding the veggies is don't go overboard on the "yellow" veggies (carrots, sweet potatoes, etc.). Your LOs can actually start turning yellow/orange from eating too many of them. This can sometimes be tough to do because it seem like they put sweet potatoes in lots of the blended baby foods. Jesse was actually allergic to the sweet potatoes for a while and it was tough to find foods he could have without making it ourselves.

Powered by CGISpy.com
iVillage Member
Fri, 09-30-2011 - 2:36pm
we won't start food until at least 6 months. DS1 started with avocado. We tried cereal and he hated it...actually didn't eat much baby food...he didn't like the texture. still doesn't like applesauce...but he eats all kinds of things including squirrel ;) hehe

Powered by CGISpy.com Thank you Lindy, Tara, Angie, Aimee and Megan for my awesom

iVillage Member
Sat, 10-01-2011 - 12:06am
When Z is 6 months or older I'll start with green veggies. I've heard of doing those first. I plan to make his food so we'll see how that goes!

Powered by CGISpy.com
Thank you Dedi and Kelly for my
iVillage Member
Sun, 10-02-2011 - 8:02am

I plan on starting rice ceral after Madisons Drs Apt on the 14th. She will be just over 4 months. Im really hoping it will help with her weight gain. She gains, just really slowly. After a couple weeks with the ceral if she is doing good im going to start some veggies. Im going to ask the dr what she reccomeneds and go with that.

Katie I plan on making most of my own food too. I just need to buy a food processor, and I will be ready to go!

I did give Madison a little piece of a sweet potato I had yesterday. Her face was SO funny. She wasnt a big fan. Lets hope she likes peas better! haha

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 10-03-2011 - 7:55am

I was hoping/planning to wait until 6+ months to give her anything other than breastmilk, but if the doctor tells us differently on Wednesday then we'll work off their suggestions (I'm with Ashlee in the baby with SLOW weight gain department).

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-03-2011 - 3:38pm

If I remember correctly from last time we were told to start with the green vegies then the orange vegies...after those you move on to the bananas, apples and pears. I think we pretty much skipped the rice cereal.

We were planning on starting about 4 months but will be trying to transition DS off of his Nutramigen so I guess the food will have to wait till we know for sure how his tummy reacts to the different formula.

I plan on making all

Community Leader
Wed, 10-05-2011 - 10:39pm
Bruce had his first jar of green beans today and he loved it! He ended up eating the whole 2.5 ounces in the jar! I was figuring he'd only eat about half of it.
iVillage Member
Thu, 10-06-2011 - 11:03am

Stacey - our ped told us we should use rice cereal for 1 month before starting other foods (to make sure she can handle eating solids properly), did you skip this longer period because Bruce was doing so well with the rice cereal, or were you told it's OK to more on to other foods quicker?

Thanks!

iVillage Member
Thu, 10-06-2011 - 12:46pm
My ped told me yesterday that Jenna only had to do the rice cereal for 2 weeks before starting veggies, and that we had to wait until 5 1/2 months to start fruits. I don't remember holding out that long with my boys.