wont take a bottle - help!

iVillage Member
wont take a bottle - help!
Wed, 11-23-2011 - 6:31am

Hi all!

iVillage Member
Wed, 11-23-2011 - 8:08am
I wouldn't do the wet nurse :) have you tried a sippy cup? I know it sounds crazy but my ds1 went to a sippy right around 7-8 months. Or try feeding with a spoon or medicine dropper. Or even a small cup. Or are you making the milk on the warmer side? Over heard babies may like it pretty warm. Are you trying fresh milk? Frozen can taste funny. And has someone else tried the bottle while you are far away? Might be something to try ..... that's all I can think of
Oh try it when she is sleepy/not hungry or at the first signs of hunger (not when she starts to cry). Slip it in on her maybe when you are nursing and she is dozing
iVillage Member
Wed, 11-23-2011 - 8:22am
We had issues with Jenna not taking bottles when I went back to work - she would do all the things you mentioned your LO doing. I would recommend setting aside one feeding every day that is just for bottle feeding (no ifs, ands, or buts) and have someone else give her that bottle. It may take her awhile to get used to it and accept the fact that she's only going to eat then if she takes the bottle. Don't worry, she won't starve to death cause it's just one feeding a day. She may try to make up for that feeding later in the day if she doesn't take the bottle, but eventually she will get the idea.

As far a bottles go, don't go crazy trying too many different kinds, but try to find something that most closely resembles your breast. Also make sure you get the slow flow nipples, BF babies don't take too well to the faster flowing nipples. We've had success with the Tommee Tippee, Nuk and Breast Flow bottles. She will also take the playtex nursers under duress. There is another bottle that I could only find on the internet (and it was quite pricey, so I didn't get it) that is supposed to be as close to a breast as you can get - Adiri.

Good luck.