BF question

iVillage Member
BF question
Sun, 07-10-2011 - 4:32pm

I have PCOS (polycystic Ovarian Syndrome) and would love to breastfeed. I attempted to breastfeed my 1st son, but he did not "enjoy" that experience and would not latch on right. I asked many questions in the hospital, but none of the nurses seemed to help me. I started giving my son formula once we got home from the hospital because I feared he was going to starve! I did pump and my milk finally came in (at least for pumping) on day 7!!! When it did come in, there was hardly anything. Looking back, though, I did not aggressively try to nurse and gave up after 2 weeks. I guess my question for all of you is....have any of you had this experience? Do you think my lack of milk was because my son was not latched on correctly. I think I remember feeding him every 3 hours in the hospital, but it was torture (and pain) to just get him to try and feed. I had blisters, blood, etc. I was also wondering if any of you have PCOS and did have success breastfeeding? Also, would it be safe to take any herbs to help boost my supply immediately after birth even before I know there is a problem in the quantity of my milk? I know I should be worrying about other things, but I REALLY REALLY want BF to work this time! Thanks for all your help!

Stephanie

Pages

iVillage Member
Sun, 07-10-2011 - 5:22pm
you may have started with low milk but, the more you offer it to him the more milk you would have made.

mommy to

katelyn 14

randy 11

hannah 8

jacob 6

lydia 4

alayna -2

GWENDOLINN-11MONTHS

AND PRAYING FOR NUMBER 8-

iVillage Member
Sun, 07-10-2011 - 5:43pm
It is pretty normal for your milk not to come until 7 days and like pp said the more you offer and pump the more you produce. I would find a lactation consultant to help with the latch. Unfortunately it is rather painful/causese bleeding initially until you build up you nipple tolerance. You can take supplements including Regalin, but I would not take these until you know there is an issue. Check out KellyMom.com it is a great BFing website published by a lactation consultant.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sun, 07-10-2011 - 6:49pm
I just want to 2nd what PPs have said. Milk supply can take up to 7 days to come in, but the more you nurse excuslevly, the faster it ususally comes in. I wouldn't use any supplements either until you know there is any issue.

DS also had a problem with latching in the beginning and it was awful, not going to lie. I cried and felt like just quitting SOO many times those first few months but it all worked out in the end. And, just as a PP stated, it can bleed, and it hurts and is sore. Eventually the latching became really easy and 2nd nature for us, but we both had to learn how to do it successfully. I hope you have better luck with your 2nd, I'm hoping my 2nd goes a lot smoother now too :)
iVillage Member
Sun, 07-10-2011 - 8:47pm

BF is sore for everyone for a couple of weeks. Tylenol is allowed as well as other remedies that can help. You have to avoid formula and nurse frequently (the supply and demand theory) to get the milk to come in at the right quantities. Also drink TONS of water. You need a better support system. A thump on the head to those nurses! :( Is there a BF class at your hospital (like mine) with a lactation consultant you can call during the early weeks with questions? That is awesome. Maybe a La Leche group that can help? Research now to be ready then. Honestly, they aren't supposed to touch a bottle until four weeks or they will have that nipple confusion. Milk flows more easily from the bottle, so the baby doesn't have to work as hard and will end up preferring that. Good luck, Sweetie :) Hang in there. It is so worth it. I nursed both mine for a year each and am prepared to nurse my twins soon :)

Becky - mom to dd 15 and ds 13
iVillage Member
Sun, 07-10-2011 - 8:49pm

Also, I don't know if this is true for everyone, but my milk came in quicker with the second baby. You may not have milk yet, but you have colostrum that the baby needs in the beginning and they drink that.

Becky - mom to dd 15 and ds 13
iVillage Member
Sun, 07-10-2011 - 9:51pm

I don't have pcos, but I can tell you that both times I started bfing my kids I cracked and bled also. It was extremely painful, especially the first time (I almost didn't make it). But I was able to nurse for 13 beautiful months with each of my kids. :) Even though I think I was a little tougher with my 2nd, it was still extremely painful in the beginning. I just had to get through it, and when I did it paid off. I'm sorry the nurses weren't any help, next time you should ask for the lactation consultant. Another good resource is the La Leche League. Some areas even have groups who hold meetings. Good luck! I really hope it works for you this time because it was such a wonderful experience for me. :)

Also, I used Lansinoh brand ointment for my sore nipples both times.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
iVillage Member
Sun, 07-10-2011 - 9:51pm
I have PCOS and was able to breastfeed my twins and produce quite a bit of milk. However, PCOS can and often does cause women not to be able to produce a sufficient amount of milk. I have several friends who also have PCOS and despite great efforts on their behalf to bf they never produced much milk at all. If you are unable to bf don't feel bad.
Boy/girl twins, Ethan Neil and Gracyn Marie were born January 7, 2010!
iVillage Member
Sun, 07-10-2011 - 10:45pm

Hi. I too have PCOS and have breastfed both of my children. My stepmom has PCOS and has breastfed all 4 of her children. Problems with latch, pain, bleeding and blisters are relatively normal early week struggles for breastfeeding moms that a lactation consultant can help you through. The more you supplement, the less milk you will make because every time baby is drinkign from a bottle- it's a time that they should be nursing from you but, since they are not, you are not getting that stimulation that lets your body know to make more milk. So it is very important to try to not supplement at all, at least until you have your supply in good.

-Bess--- mom to Eve and Ariel
http://mommakesmilk.com
iVillage Member
Sun, 07-10-2011 - 10:49pm

sorry. double posted for some reason.

-Bess--- mom to Eve and Ariel
http://mommakesmilk.com
iVillage Member
Sun, 07-10-2011 - 11:02pm
I have pcos & you can bf. I have a very slow letdown, almost 40 minutes, due to the pcos, so I has to exclusively pump. I also struggle to keep up my supply so I eat oatmeal with flax seed meal mixed in, drink 3-5 cups of the nursing tea & take mothers milk special bled supplements. You should take the special blend supplements, not the more milk, if you have pcos. They work better.

Pages