BFing check in

iVillage Member
BFing check in
Mon, 11-14-2011 - 10:48pm
Thought we should see how all these babies are doing with eating.

Are you BFing exclusively? Pumping? BFing and formula?
How often is baby nursing?
Any problems or concerns?
Photobucket

Pages

iVillage Member
Mon, 11-14-2011 - 10:53pm
BFing exclusively. I have been pumping maybe once a day as my supply is so high when my milk first comes in that baby can hardly latch because I am so full. I am very cracked and it hurts especially when first latching. She is eating every 1.5 to 3 hours. She is eating and going back to sleep at night which is awesome. I can handle getting up 2-3 times at night when I am only up for 20-30 minutes.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 11-15-2011 - 10:59am
We are exclusively nursing. We nurse on demand rather then a schedule and she is usually every 3 hours but she does a stint of cluster feeding just before bed too that makes me feel she's constantly on the breast for a few hours. Thankfully we managed to avoid any problems but we almost had to supplement because of her weight loss at the hospital.
iVillage Member
Tue, 11-15-2011 - 5:01pm
We are BFing exclusively. The first couple of days were so awful and she would always bite. We're now at a good rhythm. She feeds every 2-3 hours. Sometimes we go slightly longer during the nights. Sometimes breastfeeding is a bit painful so I'm sure I'm doing something wrong. (The lactation consultant at the hospital said that BF shouldn't hurt.)

I'm thinking of starting to pump when she is 4 weeks old so that I can finally leave the house for a longer period of time.
iVillage Member
Tue, 11-15-2011 - 6:00pm
I talked with the lactation consultant from our hospital today and got a good tip I did not know. I have been so engorged with my milk coming in that she can hardly latch at times, so I was pumping some before each feeding. I did not pump much as I did not want to increase my supply. Well lc said to pump till empty just once as the milk then usually doesn't come back as high. I never would have thought of this, but feel so much better today.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 11-15-2011 - 6:06pm
BFing for me is painful in the first couple weeks, but then is fine. It only hurts when she first latches on and then the pain goes away. If it continues to be painful it is usually because she is not latching on a large area of my breast and is squishing my nipple. I usually stop and relatch if this happens. Are you getting cracked or bleeding nipples? I use triple antibiotic ointment between feeds to heal my nipples and then pat it off before the next feed. Also try medela hydro gel pads they are awesome. Hope it gets better soon.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 11-15-2011 - 8:40pm
We're exclusively bfing. I had to pump once because I had a wedding to go to. We are on demand but she wont go two hours unless it's the middle of the night. I know I'm making enough, but I think she just wants to use me as a pacifier! Lol
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 11-15-2011 - 10:13pm
Unfortunately i am eping... At two wks laila started refusing the breast.. Long story short i pump 8x a day only ably to pump 9-10 oz a day on avg working on tryin to increase my supply (fenugreek foods water startin mothers milk plus this wk) she will nurse few times a day.. Hope this passes but thinkin we will be ep'in for the long haul

Photobucket <a href="http://lil

iVillage Member
Wed, 11-16-2011 - 12:45am
Trying to Exclusively bfing. I pump once a day to have a bottle for if I need to go out or if she needs a little extra. I feel like my supply gets low at night. She cluster feeds from 8-9pm. She'll sleep all day if I let her so I wake her up every few hours. I let her sleep at night but she wakes up every 3-4 hours for a quick snack then goes back to sleep.
iVillage Member
Wed, 11-16-2011 - 11:17am
We are exclusively BFing. I'm going to begin pumping soon because I have such an oversupply that I'm leaking heavily on the side that she's not nursing from. During the day, she is nursing whenever she wants to. She's a great sleeper so I've been waking her around 2:00 in the morning to feed and then usually around 5 or 6:00 she nurses again. She has done something awful to my left side and it makes me cringe every time she latches on, but the pain goes away quickly. No problems on my right side.

PhotobucketPowered by

iVillage Member
Wed, 11-16-2011 - 5:04pm

Until today, I've been pumping exclusively because Liam wasn't allowed to have food before surgery (last Monday) and wasn't allowed to breastfeed right away afterward because they wanted to measure his intake.

Pages