BTDT Mom's of toddler's...

iVillage Member
BTDT Mom's of toddler's...
Thu, 06-16-2011 - 5:03pm

I made myself a goal of potty training my son this summer and when I found out we were pregnant, it just made it that much more of a priority for me.

Pages

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-16-2011 - 5:28pm

I'm trying to potty-train my 3 year old.

Dawn, DS-12, DD-10, DD-7, DD-5, DD-2, and EDD 11-11-11
iVillage Member
Thu, 06-16-2011 - 6:18pm
My kids always liked the regular toilet...they got excited that they were grown up too. The boys learned easily by watching DH...no sitting, just straight to standing. He made it fun by "crossing streams" lol My 4 year old learned in a weekend when he was only 2 after crossing streams became the new thing. ;) For my daughter, we tried everything and what worked was nothing on under her dress during the summer for a week. She refused to wet herself so that's what worked after months and months of no success...granted we stayed home that whole week but totally worth it.
Good luck

Photobucket <a href="htt

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-16-2011 - 10:32pm
I totally understand the desire to potty train before the baby comes! When my dd was born, ds was turning 3 and it was top priority. My best advice is just don't put so much pressure on him and yourself. The more you stress yourself, he notices it and will get stressed himself. :) Especially boys, kids potty train when they're ready and not a day before then. Some people say don't use treats, but we had a lot of success with gummy bears. He got 1 gummy bear for going #1 and 2 gummy bears for going #2. It really did work great. Definitely encourage him and praise him for going. Just try to stay relaxed about it, and you'll both be a lot more successful!
Lilypie First Birthday tickers
iVillage Member
Fri, 06-17-2011 - 12:08am

We are just finishing a very LONG potty training process. We actually started potty training my son before my daughter was born and she's now 18 months, so yeah--it's tough. We got him "poop trained" about a year ago so I'm thankful for that. We're just having trouble motivating him to go pee when he needs to.

I'm currently reading "Potty Train your Child in Just one Day"...I recommened it!

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 06-17-2011 - 9:56am

I'm in the process of trying to potty train my 2 year old. Ughhh what a mission! I hope I can get it done by the end of the summer.

Lilypie - Personal picture
iVillage Member
Fri, 06-17-2011 - 12:03pm

a friend of mine used the 3 day potty training method and swears by it...we are about to give it a try. My son will be 3 in september and I am due in December! I can email it to you if you like...

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 06-17-2011 - 2:36pm

I have aspirations to potty train my son while on maternity leave as he will be 2 and 1/2 by then.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sun, 06-19-2011 - 10:00am

I guess it's been almost a year now (my son

Jill, mommy to Chloe, almost 5, Oliver, 3 & baby Ella born 12-1-11 !
iVillage Member
Sun, 06-19-2011 - 10:04am
Livie is the same age as Malcolm, and she is trained. (but boys seem to be harder to train)

What are you taking on as your strategy right now? Is he showing an interest in going?
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
iVillage Member
Sun, 06-19-2011 - 10:54am
He's doing better every day and yesterday we didn't have a single accident! We are using a sticker chart for everytime he goes and when he fills up a line (6 times) he gets a prize (match box cars, little balls, etc) and he doesn't know what he gets until after he reaches into the bag.
For wee wee he's doing great and, although he doesn't always WANT to go, when I make him sit on the potty when I feel the gap is getting a little to long, he will and ususally always goes.

It's poop that is harder because he's just not consistent with it. He hasn't pooped since 2 days ago and that was an accident. I have my fingers crossed we end up with a poop today and it's in the potty. We picked out a special toy for him and put it on top of the bookcase. He knows he only gets it when he goes poop in the potty and understands the concept so I'm hoping that will be motivation enough.

As for girl's training earlier/easier then boys, I think that's soo true. In his preschool class last semester, most of the girls in his age range were already potty trained while I don't think any of the boys were yet.

Pages