Gender wrong at U/S??

iVillage Member
Gender wrong at U/S??
Thu, 06-30-2011 - 7:22pm

This came up in another post so figured id just start a new one... Has anyone had this happen to them? If so how far were you during that ultrasound?? Personally ive never had a tech be wrong. Mine is most definetely a girl no mistaken that.. IF it was wrong Dh would be devastated lol..

Photobucket <a href="http://lil

Pages

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-30-2011 - 7:27pm
Oooh great question!!

I wish I could chime in with that one but I've never had it happen. I'm going on my 3rd boy and it's always been really obvious. However, my ex-husband's Aunt was told she was having a girl twice and she had boys both times but that was 15 years ago and ultrasounds have come a long way. You know what would be interesting, being told you're having a boy and it's actually a girl. I read about that...the umbilical cord was mistaken for a penis. My DD keeps asking me if I'm SURE this is a boy and not just the umbilical cord now.

Can't wait to hear the stories!!

Photobucket <a href="htt

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-30-2011 - 7:41pm

Thats crazy! Most techs can see where the umbilical cord is so its amazing to me that it could be wrong.. I have seen alot of woman (not just this board but others) gettin gender results as early as 12-13 wks that just seems crazy! And can understand it being wrong THAT early.. but 18-20 wks it should be more than obvious lol

Photobucket <a href="http://lil

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-30-2011 - 8:28pm
I would think so too Michelle. I was really surprised when they told me it was a boy at 15 weeks but it was seriously unmistakable. The tech who did that ultrasound said that earlier than 20 weeks, a boy is usually pretty easy to tell as long as it's after 14 weeks after their testies descend but a girl is a really huge guess before 20. But that's just what she told me. With my girl, I didn't find out till 20 weeks and she was my first so I had to take their word for it, I had NO idea what I was looking at. ;) That was 11 years ago.

Photobucket <a href="htt

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-30-2011 - 8:36pm
My friend Amy from the 04 expecting board was told girl at her 20 week u/s.. They thought girl until their son said.. Why does abby have testicles as he was being born!
 BabyFetus Ticker
iVillage Member
Thu, 06-30-2011 - 9:05pm
I'm ridicoulous and I make sure to get at least one more us lol
~JACKIE

MOMMY TO
~TRAVIS JAMES DEAN 12/6/06
~ALAINA NOELLE DEAN 6/30/09 EDD DEC 16TH
iVillage Member
Thu, 06-30-2011 - 9:25pm

I know of 2 people it's happened to...but I think it's pretty rare. I don't think there is anything wrong with asking your tech if he/she has ever been wrong. I live in a small town and there is only one ultrasound tech that does standard prenatal care ultrasounds. He's done thousands over the years. He told us he's been wrong 3 times...and all of those cases were because the baby's development wasn't typical, there were drug issues, etc. He wouldn't take a look at this baby's gender at 15 weeks--probably because he has such a great track record he doesn't want to screw that up!

That said, just find out how experienced your ultrasound tech is...if they've been doing it everyday for years and years you probably don't have a thing to worry about.

I remember being really concerned about this during my first pregnancy--even though it was VERY CLEAR that he was a boy!

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-01-2011 - 12:10pm

It happened to my sister, but usually what happens and most people dont tell you is that the us tech usually gives them a guess based on what they see and they give you a percentage of probability. With my sister, they told her they would about 80% sure it was a girl, we had a baby shower etc and at 32 weeks she got dehydrated, went to hospital they gave her an ultrasound and it was a boy.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 07-01-2011 - 12:17pm
I worked with a girl a few years ago who was having a girl, right up until he was born... poor little boy went home dressed in purple, to a purple and pink room, with all purple and pink clothes and stuff.