Had CPS called on me because I refused bottle at hospital.......

iVillage Member
Had CPS called on me because I refused bottle at hospital.......
Fri, 12-02-2011 - 11:35am

Well, I'm sure I'll leave some things out so I'll come back and add if needed. I just had my third son on Nov 22nd. First I messed up breastfeeding day 1 because of lack of knowledge. Second son I didn't have quite the determination so I tried for a week then fed BM from a bottle, than formula. With this son I was armed with knowledge, support, and determination. He was born via repeat c-section. As soon as I got back in the room we latched. He latched and half ate half suckled CONSTANTLY the first 48hrs. This one nurse in particular kept asking how things were going. I was telling her I wasn't sure about his latch because it hurt so I thought it might be shallow. I was very honest with my concerns and questions thinking that she could/would help me. She didn't. At 50 hrs old my milk had not fully come in yet and I wasn't get much colostrum from the pump. I knew that the pump wasn't an accurate depiction of what he was getting though because he was much more efficient than a pump. The ped on call came in and said he was concerned about dehydration. They did a blood sugar test and said it was on the low end of normal. However, when they did th test, it had been two hrs since he last latched. They said he cried constantly when they took him out of the room and when I told them I was able to console him in the room and that almost always feeding him worked, they claimed he was so dehydrated that he was too tired and that's why he kept falling asleep. They offered no other ways to feed formula. I to pry options out of them. I was alone at the time because DH was with our other sons. I was bullied and bombarded. Thankfully DH and his mom got there soon and were able to back me up. For six hours they wouldn't answer my questions as to how they were going to test him for dehydration or when they doctor would be back in to see him. Nor would they let us talk to the doctor. I was a mess.

iVillage Member

holy crap..

Photobucket <a href="http://lil

iVillage Member
I'm so sorry you had to go through all that! My nurses and Dr's tried to force me to supplement also, but they weren't all about the formula. They wanted me to pump. I'm sure when your baby has his first ped check up and shows he's gaining you won't have anymore problems with CPS.
iVillage Member

I am shocked an appauled that Nurses would behave this way.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Oh my gosh! I can't believe that you're having to deal with this. I'm so sorry. I'll keep you in my thoughts and hope that you can get the issues resolved with cps quickly. You're a strong and brave mama standing up for your little one. Best of luck to you.
Photobucket
iVillage Member

WOW!

Boys will Be Boys
iVillage Member
I would definitely contact the La Leche League! (www.llli.org) They may have ideas to help back you up.
Lilypie First Birthday tickers
iVillage Member
WOW.....That is absolutely ridiculous. Im so sorry you were put through that at the hospital. I understand there are situations when bf'ing doesnt work but really. You know your body & bf'ing takes time & adjustment. They shouldve supported your choice & offered advice. This is my 3rd & she has slept a ton. Perfectly healthy & ebf from mins old. Ive had to wake her to eat multiple times; not due to fatigue or dehydration. I hope this clears up fast for you.....total BS.
Jill, mommy to Chloe, almost 5, Oliver, 3 & baby Ella born 12-1-11 !