Induction?

iVillage Member
Induction?
Fri, 11-04-2011 - 2:43pm
So I went to the OB today and she told me she would induce me if I wanted after 39 weeks. She said we could use pitocin or she would break my water my choice. I am curious would you choose to be induced and why/why not? Would you choose pitocin or having your water broken? I am kinda torn about what I might want to do. It would be nice to plan on when she will arrive and not be in the hospital on Thanksgiving, but not sure about induction. I had pitocin last time and it caused very hard and back to back contractions, but my water had broken over 12 hours prior and my labor was not progressing very fast. I need your thoughts.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
In reply to: mcginnik
Fri, 11-04-2011 - 3:27pm

I'm kind of in the same position.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 11-04-2011 - 4:19pm
I'm with Cara. I have been offered an induction as well, but despite how uncomfortable I continue to grow by the hour, I know this is just a temporary thing. As I mentioned to DH last night it's not like I've got a toothache that is never ending - this discomfort I'm feeling is for a reason.

I want all my children to choose their own birth days and thankfully we've got great friends who have offered to help in the middle of the day or middle of the night when the time comes.

One reason I'm anti-induction is I've heard of so many friends needing emergency c/s's when the labor doesn't progress well. And still others who have trouble BF'ing. From what I've learned it's because it's not your body telling you to naturally go into labor - it's an artificial start to it. Therefore, your whole body isn't aware of what is happening and can't necessarily respond "correctly."

Our bodies are made for having babies and babies know what to do; at this point it's the only job they have.

Wishing you the best with whatever you decide - because it is your decision and it'll be the perfect one for you and your family.
Jill
iVillage Member
Fri, 11-04-2011 - 6:11pm

I was given the option of induction at 39 weeks. I'm ready to have my baby but after reading everyone else's responses i may change my mind and decline the induction. I have carried my 2 previous children until 40 weeks and apparently this baby is not ready to come on out yet. I think i will embrace the natural process of birth and let her decide.

Breaking your bag if water is no sure way to start labor and pitocin gets mixed reviews so natue sounds best to me. Good luck with your decision.

iVillage Member
Fri, 11-04-2011 - 6:56pm

I personally am all about being induced by having my water broken, but it's worked well for me twice already. My daughter was here just an hour ater they broke my water.

~JACKIE

MOMMY TO
~TRAVIS JAMES DEAN 12/6/06
~ALAINA NOELLE DEAN 6/30/09 EDD DEC 16TH
iVillage Member
Fri, 11-04-2011 - 7:38pm
JMO: Pitocin for me was awful and I'll avoid it at all costs. It was a nightmare. I had one child when she was ready and two induced. I missed the excitement of just guessing rather than the plan so this go round, I'm going to wait till baby is ready. I guess if I had to get induced, I'd go with the water break.

Photobucket <a href="htt

iVillage Member
Fri, 11-04-2011 - 8:28pm
They willl do either or either way if u don't show progression. If u get induced with pitocin and slow down after a certain point they will break ur water. If they break ur water and u dont show progress they will give u pitocin.
iVillage Member
Fri, 11-04-2011 - 8:38pm

From a different side of view, I have been induced with pitocin 3 times and it was a blessing. Since I dont know any better, I am not sure how the contractions differ, but every time I have had a healthy baby, and have not had any problems with breastfeeding. I am not sure how being induced would even affect that, but who knows...

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 11-04-2011 - 9:48pm

:) I'm all about an induction personally...i'm getting induced in 5 days...and not at all out of convience, but out of how miserable i feel...honestly i can't believe i haven't gone into labor yet as i've been contraction every 2-5 minutes for almost 4 weeks!