Infant seat to car seat

iVillage Member
Infant seat to car seat
Mon, 02-06-2012 - 9:59am
When do you plan to go from infant carrier seat to car seat? Will you extend rear facing past a year? What's your favorite car seat?

Photobucket <a href="htt

iVillage Member
Fri, 02-24-2012 - 9:54pm
Jill-if you are rear ended the force is still pushing baby towards the front of the car and in rear facing this means that baby is totally supported and the car seat absorbs the force not babies head and neck. The only time the force would be different is during a head on collision. The majority of crashes are rear end crashes making rear facing 4 times safer that forward facing.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 02-24-2012 - 9:44pm
I will keep her in the infant carrier as long as possible. I switched my son at around 8 months. We will definately do extended rear facing. Part of my job was to be trained as a carseat technician so I have seen the videos of forward facing crashes and know that rear facing is 4 times safer. My son stayed rear facing until 2 so I am sure she will make it at least that long.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 02-18-2012 - 4:53pm
I brought the Bumbo grocery shopping - sat it in the large part of the cart. This time I'll probably carry him either my Moby or Ergo.

I suspect August to be well over 20lbs at a year, so I feel comfortable going forward facing. All the research on keeping babies rear facing confuses me - it's great if our car rear ends someone, but if we get rear ended there's no protection.

I have moved the kids into regular car seats at 6mo in the past as the carrier just gets way too heavy. The ones that are out now accommodate bigger kids but I don't think my arm will be able to manage it.
Jill
iVillage Member
Sun, 02-12-2012 - 8:52am
I wear Jack in my Ergobaby carrier when I go grocery shopping. Super easy and he stays happy :)

Photobucket <a href="htt

iVillage Member
Sat, 02-11-2012 - 5:14pm

My question is.. when they grow out of the infant car seat.. and they still don't sit up on their own.. how do you go grocery shopping.

----"Never give up on something that you can't stop thinking about every second of every day."----

Chris 

iVillage Member
Thu, 02-09-2012 - 6:59am
True that lol

Photobucket <a href="htt

iVillage Member
Wed, 02-08-2012 - 11:39pm

Well ya thats what happens when you rbaby is as long as a toddler at birth haha ;)

Photobucket <a href="http://lil

iVillage Member
Tue, 02-07-2012 - 2:39pm
We have a Britax Roundabout and buying a Safety 1st Air...he's almost grown out of his carrier, he's so heavy and we will most likely go forward facing at a year only because he's already so tall and if keeps going, his legs will be all up in his chest.

Photobucket <a href="htt

iVillage Member
Tue, 02-07-2012 - 2:00pm
We are gonna extend rear face. After all the research I've seen rear facing beyond the yr/20 lbs def has its benefits. I have a friend with a 15 mo old 25 lbish she was rear ended car totalled etc. If baby was foward facing he would have been seriosly injured but cause he was rear facing he walked away withour a scratch on him

As far as type of carsear laila is tiny 12.12 lbs at 4 mo. So prob keep her in carrier for a while not sure what convertible to get...

Photobucket <a href="http://lil