Interesting Article in reference to scheduled deliveries

iVillage Member
Interesting Article in reference to scheduled deliveries
Thu, 07-21-2011 - 2:57pm

I found this interesting so I thought I'd share.

Photobucket <a href="htt

iVillage Member

Interesting!

My last labor was 'spontaneous'--my water broke at 37 weeks exactly. My first labor started when my OB broke my water at 39 weeks, I had just been walking around at 5 cm (no regular contractions). Those are just my experiences--both turned out in a quick vaginal delivery and healthy babies. I think it is probably best to wait...and I would never ever let pitocin into my body under any circumstances (I have hard/fast labors so it would not go well).

If I were 40-42 weeks I would be trying everything under the sun to get the baby out though, so I can understand.

Photobucket

iVillage Member

That is interesting. I was induced with all my girls, once because my kid was large and the dr was worried about the baby getting too big. She was 3 weeks early, and 8'15 lbs. My second, I got really sick, and with my last I dont remember why but I have never gone into labor spontaneously. That being said, I liked pitocin, it worked well with me, and the lomgest labor I have had was my first with 13 hours.

In Arizona the state is now fining hospitals for every induction before 39 weeks that is not medically necessary.

Photobucket
iVillage Member

I think there are exceptions.

Dawn, DS-12, DD-10, DD-7, DD-5, DD-2, and EDD 11-11-11
iVillage Member
I was induced both times although I was contracting anyway apparently, both about 2 weeks early. They gave me pitocin with DD and it didn't bother me, she was out an hour after they broke my water
~JACKIE

MOMMY TO
~TRAVIS JAMES DEAN 12/6/06
~ALAINA NOELLE DEAN 6/30/09 EDD DEC 16TH
iVillage Member
Pitocin worked much differently for me...my body wasn't reacting the way it should to it so they upted it to the maximum amount and I ended up passing out from lack of oxygen because the contractions were coming 3 on top of each other at a time. They actually pushed Rian out without me doing anything and he ended up in NICU because the amount of fluid that was in his lungs that was never squeezed out like it would have been if he would have slowly gone through the canal. I will absolutely NOT do pitocin again. I'd like to not only be concious for the delivery but I'd like for my baby to be okay after using it too. Not to mention, the amount of pain was so unbearable that I had nightmares for 2 weeks afterwards. No thank you. LOL

Photobucket <a href="htt

iVillage Member

I agree with Tammy all the way.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
iVillage Member
Never say never. I have been determined to have a "natural" birth with all 3 of my pregnancies. With my first, my BP was sky high and at 39 week, 6 days, I was induced with cervadil and pitocin...24 hours later, my body refused to respond, and DS was taken by c-section. With DD, my birthing story really starts at 38 weeks... I thought my water broke, DH was at work, so my in laws took me to the hospital, only to learn that nothing had happened I felt so silly. 2 days later I felt the exact same sensation and worried that my water had broken, but not wanting to be silly again, I didn't tell anyone. 3 days after that I started to have some mild but regular contractions I made DH leave work because I was certain I was in labor at that time. An hour later when we checked into the hospital, the contractions had stopped, and I feared I was being silly yet again. To my surprise though, when they checked me to be safe, they found that my water was broken, and I couldn't really tell them when it had happened (I'm assuming I had been walking around with broken water for 3 days), they started me on pit to get my contractions going again, but DD's heart rate dropped low with each one, her cord was caught between her head and my pelvis. So, after taking natural child birth classes, and studying hypnobirthing at home, I headed to the OR for my second c-section.

I'm hoping 3rd time will be a charm... I'm studying hypnobirthing again, I switched OB's because my previous OB was non supportive of my natural childbirth ideas. My current OB says she can't force me to have a scheduled c-section, but she thinks I'm being silly to refuse it. It's so frustrating.

I'm a nurse, I understand what its like to be on the other side of the heatlhcare provider patient disagreement, when the patient read 1 article and thinks they have more answers than a doc with a decade of formal medical training, and years of personal experience treating whatever condition the patient disagrees about. But as an OB patient, I just cant get out of my head that plucking an infant out of the womb even a few days early is the wrong thing no matter what the educated experienced OB doctor thinks.
Pregnancy%20ticker