Job Hunting While Pregnant

iVillage Member
Job Hunting While Pregnant
Wed, 05-11-2011 - 2:14pm

Hi everyone i just got laid off recently (long story on that one) but i got a call for an interview today for an at home position (which will be awesome!!!)

Photobucket <a href="http://lil

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-11-2011 - 2:56pm
That's a sticky predicament! I personally think honesty is the best policy and if I am thinking correctly, they can't discriminate during hiring because you are pregnant...that'd be a lawsuit waiting to happen but they could say no for other reasons...I still think it's best to just up front. I think they will appreciate that a lot. Good luck with the interview!!

Photobucket <a href="htt

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-11-2011 - 3:21pm
Legally they can't ask and you don't have to tell.
Boy/girl twins, Ethan Neil and Gracyn Marie were born January 7, 2010!
iVillage Member
Wed, 05-11-2011 - 3:51pm
I think I would wait to tell. Like PP said, legally they can't ask and you don't have to tell. What's 2 months of maternity leave when you plan to be working for them a lot longer past that? How awesome would a work from home job be! My DH works from home and it's amazing! Good luck Michelle!
Lilypie First Birthday tickers
iVillage Member
Wed, 05-11-2011 - 6:13pm

I was 12 weeks or so pregnant with #2 when I interviewed for a new job I didn't bring it up, I just left it be.

Me: Amy Married to Dh since 2002 Mommy to Donovan, Quinten, Lainey, angel baby 02/11
iVillage Member
Wed, 05-11-2011 - 6:23pm

I agree with mama-amy - from everything I've heard, they can't discriminate against you....but they will.

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-11-2011 - 9:19pm
Your right amy think ill wait til after i get hired here or wherever.. Part of reason i got let go from my other job was my pregnancy long story

Photobucket <a href="http://lil

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-12-2011 - 4:14pm
It is illegal to discriminate on the basis of pregnancy, but is also impossible to prove that it was done. I would just not say anything about it, but not hide it either. It's like another response said, they can't ask and you don't have to tell.
iVillage Member
Mon, 05-16-2011 - 12:51am
I'm in total agreement with Tammy on this one. I see mama-amy's point as well, and actually had to do exactly what she did but I didn't know I was pregnant until after I interviewed though.
IMHO, if you are already showing, I would be prepared to be totally honest about it. There are indirect ways of asking if you are expecting and think about what your prospective employer might feel/think if they suspect you are pregnant and you aren't honest or even worse, somehow it comes up and you lie about it? You don't want your employer thinking you are dishonest.
When they did call and offer me the job (and this was one that required a move half way cross country that they were paying for) and I told them that I was pregnant and fully understood if they didn't want to hire me...... he promptly told me that it didn't matter and that it was illegal for them to not hire me based on me being pregnant but that he greatly appreciated my honesty.
Good luck and I hope you get the job no matter what route you choose to go!

Tessa
Single Mom of 6 beautiful children and 3 angels........
CL to Single Moms, January 2010 Winter Wonders, and 2010 Playgroup Friends